How Do I Get Rid of My Gummy Smile?(photo)

I have a gummy smile, caused by nostril movement. Could elevators nasalis and LLSAN be disabled, allowing the frontal process of maxilla be augmented as a way to restrain and reorientate nostrils, thus effecting smile. what are your thoughts?

Solutions for a Gummy Smile

+1

The following are causes of a gummy smile:

• Hypermobile lip, insufficient lip length, maxilla protrusion, vertical maxillary excess, and altered passive eruption of teeth (short teeth)

A comprehensive exam consisting of the following is needed to determine the cause of a gummy smile and utilize proper treatment:

• Dento-gingival analysis
• Jaw relationship evaluation using cephalogram
• A series of measurements that include lip length, teeth length, and amount of attached gingiva and degree of movement of the upper lip, etc.

Solutions
- Orthognathic (jaw surgery) for vertical maxillary excess
- Aesthetic crown lengthening for altered passive eruption (short teeth)
- Lip lowering (repositioning) for hypermobile / insufficient lip length

Since 1998, I have treated numerous gummy smiles using a lip lowering procedure that minimizes the look of excessive gum tissue. In addition, depending on the cause, esthetic crown lengthening or reshaping the incisal edge of the upper front teeth can be used. I have even used BOTOX® Cosmetic injections in conjunction with lip lowering as needed.

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Gummy smile solutions

+1

This would be a better question for an Oral and Maxillofacial surgeon or plastic surgeon. I would be very carefull of disabling muscles of facial expression. You could try a temporary measure using Botox but I would not do anything permanent unless you are absolutely sure it will work and it won't look strange.

Gummy smiles can be Skeletal (needs jaw-maxilla repositioning surgery), altered passive eruption or short teeth (needs gum surgery), or hyper mobile upper lip (need lip procedure or botox), or combination of all.

You need to see a very experienced cosmetic dentist to diagnose this.

Hope this helps

Dr. T

Mauricio C. Tijerino, DMD
Miami Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Get Rid Of a Gummy Smile

+1

Your Gummy Smile is most likely not from nostril movement.  Without a photo it is difficult to say, but if you think when you move your nostrils you show more gum, then the issue is probably with the position of your upper jaw. If this is the case then orthognathic jaw surgery is the correct treatment.  This is based on the fact that you may have Vertical Maxillary Excess.  any gum tissue removal should be avoided to prevent the appearance of very large teeth.  Any other procedures mentioned like a  "lip tuck" should be considered with great caution.  You must be evaluated by a Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon to properly disgnose and treat the gummy smile you speak of.  Without a photo it is difficult to state otherwise

Brian Dorfman, MD, DMD
Phoenix Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

How Do I Get Rid of My Gummy Smile?

+1

Gummy smiles can be caused by a few different reasons. In your case it is likely less due to the nasalis muscles. In your case, (without seeing any photos of you), I suspect that you have a hyper-mobile upper lip.

First, go to an experienced cosmetic dentist. He can assess how much of your smile ought to show and if you have any other options other than a facial or muscular procedure.

In the right cases, a "Lip Tuck" can be just the right thing. I usually do this in conjunction with an oral surgeon, but the key is for the cosmetic dentist to set the plan.

A Lip Tuck can lessen the mobility of your upper lip so that it doesn't slide up as high. 

The link below will give you some other options in case your issue is not truly a lip mobility issue, but one of the other causes of a gummy smile.

Scott Greenhalgh, DDS
Denver Cosmetic Dentist