Should I See Another Surgeon About Dog Ears Post TT or Just Relax? (photo)

I had a tummy tuck about 6 months ago and all was well except I had dog ears.. My surgeon fixed them about two weeks ago and there is a difference however they are still there. I keep trying to tell myself that it is just swelling but I am starting to come to the conclusion that it just wasn't fixed correctly. Is it just swelling? and about how long does the swelling take to go down after a revision?

Results of revision takes time

+2

Two weeks after any type of revisionary surgery is too soon to make judgements.  As you probably noticed with your initial tummy tuck, swelling and general healing takes time.  Also looking at the picture you submitted, it does not appear that you do have any dog ears.  You either have some swelling or some fatty tissue still present. Good luck!

Should I See Another Surgeon About Dog Ears Post TT or Just Relax?Answer:

+2

It's always a good idea to give it plenty of time, usually close to 6 months, to settle in and always give your surgeon the chance to fix anything you don't like. But you may need more liposuction than scar revision to get the final contour you want! Sometimes once the skin is tightened the sides need contouring as well!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Dog ears after tummy tuck?

+2

Based on your photos, you do not have dog ears.  It looks like you have some swelling or fatty area above your scar.  Since you had a procedure done 2 weeks ago, I would wait at least couple months before re-assessing.  If your swelling does not decrease by that time, you may benefit from liposuction.  You should also share your concern with your plastic surgeon.

Sugene Kim, MD

Dog ears

+2

There is a difference in the thickness of tissue above the scar versus below it. This may be due to swelling. It is also very common and normal. If it does not go away, losing weight or minimal liposuction can be helpful. There does not seem to be any need for you to lose confidence in your PS.

Michael Hueneke, MD

Concern about dog ears and treatment results

+2

The photos that you provided are of limited clarity but they do not show any dog ears. Instead, you appear to have  some contour issues related to an increased deposition of fat. This may benefit from liposuction.

Even if you did have dog ears, two weeks post treatment is still far too early to be able to assess the long term result. Be patient and stick with your doctor.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Too soon

+2

I think it is way to soon to be resigned on the final result after your revision, however if you feel as though your relationship or trust with your plastic surgeon is deteriorating--you should get another opinion.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Dog Ears after Tummy Tuck

+2

It is difficult to make any evaluation on final appearance 2 weeks after any surgery.  If after allowing adequate time for the swelling to resolve you are still unhappy, then you should let your surgeon know.  Seeking a second opinion can also help restore your confidence in your original surgeon or offer other options if that is required.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Dog Ear Correction After Tummy Tuck

+2

Dogs ear correction after a tummy tuck is not rare. However, your photos do  not currently show dog ears. There is fullness above the tail ends of the incision which may be swelling or thickness of fat in the upper skin flap. What may have looked completely corrected laying flat can appear differently when standing up. I would give this last procedure a full three months to heal and have the swelling dissipate. By then you will know what, if any, the remaining problem is. This should be discussed with your current plastic surgeon at that time. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Two weeks after tummy tuck revision too soon to judge

+2

Seeing another surgeon is not a bad thing and you should get all the information you need to be comfortable with your decision. Two weeks after a revision of the 'dog ears' on your tummy tuck however is too soon to judge. Most would tell you to relax and let things heal for at least six months.

peterejohnsonmd.com

Revision of dogears

+2
Your photo doesn't show dogear scarring. You have swelling above the incision sites and it is also possible that the photos are showing an area which might benefit from liposuction. Swelling can take 3-6 months to abate from a revision so relax and allow the healing to progress.

Robert L. Kraft, MD