Tummy Tuck 9/26/12 Localized Swelling Around Belly Button?

I had a tummy tuck on 9/26/12. I have swelling underneath the skin around top half of my belly button only. It is especially pronounced after Bikram Yoga and can be seen through my clothes. I weigh 130 and I am 5'7". Is this normal? At what date post-op should I be concerned if the swelling has not gone away. Thanks for your help!

Persistant swelling and irregularities 9 months post op from an abdominoplasty

+1

By seven months you would expect most of the soft tissue swelling to have resolved.  If you still have areas that are bothering you then you should ask your surgeon what can be done to correct these problems. 

Localized Swelling Around Belly Button

+1

There are numerous possible causes. Some might be discernible were there some photos. But best would be an in person evaluation by your surgeon. The right time is now. By seven months almost all swelling from surgery that will resolve has resolved. 

All the best. 

Swelling long term after TT

+1

I think that it is time for you to visit with your doctor.  He needs to take a look and evaluate the situation.  You need to be prepared to do whatever it takes to duplicate the bulge so that he can see what is going on.  Without pics etc. it is impossible to give a diagnosis.

There should be no swelling at this point.

Best of luck, keep us apprised.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Upper abdomen swelling will need evaluation

+1

Thanks for your ?. Sounds like the swelling is above the BB. If so, it could be because of less tightening of the muscle. Your surgeon should be able to address this. If you had a miniTT then it can be difficult to tighten this upper area. hopefully you and your surgeon can figure it out. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Abdominoplasty Post-Op Swelling

+1

First and foremost, bring this to the attention of the plastic surgeon who performed your surgery.  This could be normal post-op swelling that will resolve with time.  Other possibilities include increased thickness of the abdominal flap in this area that may require a touch-up liposuction in the office under local.  It is also a possibility that one of the sutures used to repair your rectus diastasis or umbilical hernia has broken and would need to be repaired.

Richard P. Glunk, M.D., FACS

Richard P. Glunk, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Swelling Around Umbilicus after Tummy Tuck?

+1

Best to be seen by your plastic surgeon for in-person examination. There are many different possibilities on the differential diagnosis list. For example, you could be dealing with an umbilical hernia,  given the prominence of the “swelling” after exercise. Or, you may be dealing with a suture granuloma or foreign body reaction.

Again, best to be seen in person for evaluation;  best not to assume that this is necessarily “swelling”.