Sedentary Person Worried About Risks of Tummy Tuck, Is It Safe?

Hi, I'm a 23 y/o female who is considering a tummy tuck. I've lost 70 pounds and have been able to keep it off for more than 4 years. I can't seem to get any further results in attaining the type of body I want. I don't smoke or drink and I am relatively healthy with no known health issues aside from food allergies. I know the risks of complications during a tummy tuck are rather low but I still worry due to the fact that I've been really sedentary for the past year and am afraid of blood clots.

Risks of Tummy Tuck

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss and keeping the weight off.  It sounds like you are very healthy.  Tummy tucks are very safe procedures but like anything in medicine and surgery, every medical procedure or treatment has small risks.  I've included a video clip where I discuss in detail the small risks associated with tummy tucks and what we do to prevent them.  I hope this helps to address your concerns.  Best wishes,

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Worried about risks of tummy tuck

+1

If you are a sedentary person and are afraid of risks of tummy tuck, here is what you need to know: A sedentary lifestyle does not necessarily increase your risk for complications. Most plastic surgeons put on compression calf boots before surgery to minimize risk of blood clots (which can potentially lead to pulmonary embolism). Also we usually have you up and about in under 24 hours after your surgery to keep good circulation in your legs. Pneumonia risk is minimized by having you deep breathe and cough after surgery.

Other risks of surgery like infection, scarring, wound healing, asymmetry, fluid collection etc are not increased by a sedentary lifestyle.

James Motlagh, MD
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+1

Congratulations on your significant weight loss. Once you have achieved a long-term stable weight, and assuming you do not have any specific risk factors, you should be able to undergo tummy tuck surgery with relatively low risk.  For more peace of mind, your family practitioner will be your best resource when it comes to addressing specific concerns...

When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients in your situation.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.