Second Opinion for Male Rhinoplasty?

I talked with plastic surgeon about my thick tip and wide alar. First, I think I'd look better with a slightly small and narrow nose, more importantly, I don't want to put any material into my body because I'm worried about the plastic look so I think the alar resection should be enough for me. But the doctor suggested to do only the augmentation for the tip and he also mentioned using the ear cartilage or goretex to augment the tip.

Please give me any suggestion about my situation. And is cartilage or goretex good for the tip?

Synthetic implant in nasal tip is not recommended

+1

A gortex implant placed over the tip of your nose will not make it narrow. It is not a good idea to have any synthetic implant in the nasal tip. For augmentation of the bridge a Silastic implant can be performed, or the patient’s own cartilage can also be used to augment the bridge. Narrowing of the alar base can be also performed for an alarplasty.

See a revision rhinoplasty specialist.

+1

I don't like putting foreign material(goretex) in the nose. You have enough cartilage available in your nose. I would narrow the nostrils and increase the projection of your nose and slightly narrow the bones to give you a NATURAL nose that looks good on YOUR face.

Tip Rhinoplasty

+1

First make sure you are seeing someone very experienced in ethnic rhinoplasty. Second I would not consider any type of graft for the tip other than cartilage taken from your own nose ie the septum. This would be considered a tip graft. I would also recommend narrowing the bony pyramid but might consider doing any alar narrowing as a secondary procedure under local anesthesia two to three months after the initial operation . Generally I do this to make sure the tip is in precise harmony with the ala after the swelling has diminished. Also increasing the projection of your tip may eliminate the perception of a wide ala thus another reason to wait a couple of months. The alar resection is really the only portion of the procedure that can never be reversed!

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon