Waiting to Get Second Liposuction Procedure?

I've had Liposuction on my stomach and flanks in May of 2009 and I love the results. I want to do lipo again on my flanks and upper back( right under bra straps) how long should I wait? And is there any risks involving doing Lipo more than once?

Timing of Secondary Liposuction

+1

The BEST liposuction results are seen in soft tissue. If the area to be liposuctioned is still inflamed from a previous procedure the fat extraction would not be as uniform. For this reason, I would recommend that you wait 5-6 months to allow the area to soften and scars to mature before undergoing a secondary liposuction.

If the areas to be liposuctioned are "new", untreated areas, you can have them treated anytime.

Dr. P. Aldea

Repeat, revisionary, or secondary liposuction

+1

Performing liposuction on discretely different anatomic locations can be performed at any time. However, when performing a secondary or revision on the SAME area, several different factors may effect the timing. Clinically, we assess this by the firmness in the area. Typically, we wait 4-6 months before contemplating a repeat procedure. In certain instances, additonal or different techniques may be utiliized to treat resistant or particularly firm areas. Ultrasound assisted lipoplasty or laser assisted lipolysis may be examples of these technologies.

Repeat Liposuction

+1

Normally there is continued improvement in flattening related to more collagen production holding the skin together more firmly after the fat is removed with liposuction, up to six months after the liposuction. That's why I suggest waiting at least that time before repeating liposuction on the same area.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Liposuction revision can be done after 6 months.

+1

There should be no problem in doing the work you describe now. Usually I wait 6 months, but there are rare exceptions to this which can alter the time frame. 

You are ready for Liposuction

+1

Dear Ilove

Generally there is persistent swelling in the area of a prior liposuction. As a result it does take about 6 months to get to something that might be called a final result from a liposuction. Since you are thinking about getting additional liposuction for an area already treatment, this 6 month mark is a good one to respect before deciding more liposuction is needed. As your liposuction was in May 2009, there is really no reason to wait any longer if you a thinking of doing more.

Secondary Liposuction

+1

As long as you are doing well after your original liposuction procedure, there is not set time that have to wait before having another procedure. In my practice, we generally have patients wait at least six weeks between procedures to allow enough recovery. If you are retreating an area, then I would suggest waiting at least 3 months to allow for the majority of the swelling to resolve and the tissues to settle before re-liposuctioning the areas. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Liposuction under local anesthesia can be done whenever you need it

+1

Liposuction under local anesthesia is so safe compared to general anesthesia that it can be done whenever you need liposuctioning. Usually you would wait 4-5 months after your last lipo to do a touch up if needed. Mid backs and flanks do great with the microcanulas tumescent tech lipo. Cost is roughly $4500 on special.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Secondary Liposuction

+1

If you are stable in your lifestyle and weight, there is not reason why you couldn't have liposuction on secondary areas. As long as you have careful and comprehensive consultations with your surgeons, the number of procedures you have done is less a consideration. Each procedure should be approach with the same eye towards reasonable results, risks, appropriateness, and safety.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD