Is It Worth It to Add 30cc to One Implant Two Years After Surgery to Even out Size or Best to Leave Alone? (photo)

I had a BA two years ago, and while I am happy overall, my right breast is slightly smaller than my left. I had LP 400cc saline implants; my left filled to 475cc and my right to 450cc. It is noticeable (to me) in certain shirts and undressed. My surgeon told me after my 1st surgery (I had two as 1st was not satisfactory) due to my natural shape and rib cage that they wouldn't be 100% symmetrical. I'm wondering if adding 30cc to the right implant to even out size would be worth another surgery?

Adding saline to a breast implant - not a risk free procedure

+2

You have a nice result and I would not recommend doing anything.  Adding saline requires an incision and exposure of the implant and that introduces risks such as damage to the implant, infection or scarring.  I just don't think it is worth it since you already have a lovely result.  I recommend you stop critiquing your breasts and start enjoying them!

Very Pleased?

+2

Dear Very Pleased,

We have a saying in Plastic Surgery.  "Perfect is the enemy of good".  There are risks to EVERY SINGLE SURGICAL INTERVENTION that you undergo...yes, even adding 25cc to a breast implant.  If you are TRULY Very Pleased, you should leave well enough alone.  BTW, I can't appreciate the size difference in the photo.  Aaaaaand your breasts look great.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Small size adjustments may not be worth the risk

+2

Thank you for your question and for providing the photo.  In my experience 30cc is not going to make a difference.  Your surgeon can discuss with you what the options are regarding improving the size symmetry.  It is hard to answer your question because we do not know your measurements, exact implant measurements, etc.  Sometimes size asymmetry is impossible to avoid.  Every time a breast implant is manipulated, even just to add 30cc, you run the risk of a problem.  30cc is such a small amount it not make a big visual difference and yet you have undertaken the risk.

Hope this helps.

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Breast Asymmetry Correction

+2

From the picture you presented us, you appear very symmetrical.  Your surgeon is correct.  No one can be 100% symmetrical.  I frequently augment the different sides with different sizes in order to try and correct slight asymmetries (but usually telling the patient preoperatively).  You also have to understand that adding 30 cc will make only about a 6% difference in the size.  This is generally not enough to be noticed externally most of the time.  I would, therefore, recommend that you do nothing, as the risks of further surgery are significantly more than you could hope to gain from the surgery.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Don't tamper with a good result after breast augmentation.

+2

If you're pleased with the results as they stand you would be most unwise to reoperate and expose yourself to potential perioperative problems for a slight increase in size.

Asymmetry post BA

+2

A pre-op photo would be helpful. Your asymmetry is quite minimal. In fact, the left looks very slightly smaller in this photo. I suspect the asymmetry you do have is much more noticeable to you than others. With this level asymmetry, I wouldn't recommend additional surgery, but it is a personal choice.

Patti A. Flint, MD

There is risk to micromanaging implant volume for asymmetry

+2

You do not look asymmetrical from the single picture you show, but they may seem that way to you.  Often times trying to compensate for a volume difference with different volumes in the same size implants is an exercise in frustration because more filling tends to narrow the diameter of the implant and increase the profile.  Another consideration is if you are prepared for the cost of possibly replacing the implant because of intra-operative damage or a post-op deflation due to damage to the valve from manipulating it again.

Myles Goldflies, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Is it worth adding 30cc to even out my breasts

+1

Keeping in mind that no one has perfectly symmetrical breasts, you have a nice result.  I would not recommend having another surgery just to add an additional 25-30cc's to the smaller breast (about 5 teaspoons).  It's definitely a personal decision but weigh the pros and cons thoughtfully and take your time, there is no rush.  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Is It Worth It to Add 30cc to One Implant Two Years After Surgery to Even out Size or Best to Leave Alone?

+1

Either leave alone or try fat grafts to the smaller side. But you need to decide if you really desire any thing.///