How can I get rid of the huge dorsal hump on my nose? (Photo)

Okay. For a long as I've known, I've had a huge dorsal hump on my nose. I'm sixteen years old and super self conscience about it. My mom had broken her nose when she was a teen, resulting in an inherited nose. My parents would never ever let me get surgery or filler, but I know when I move out it will be the first thing I do. As for now, I'm not sure what I should do about it. Any suggestions would be great.

Softening dorsal convexity with nonsurgical rhinoplasty

+1
Evaluation of your nose and the dorsal hump is somewhat limited as the area of the bridge of the hump is not visible in your photo.  While the only permanent way to straighten the dorsal hump is with surgical rhinoplasty, depending on the height of the hump and the height of your bridge above the hump, your profile may be amenable to softening with nonsurgical rhinoplasty. 

Rhinoplasty candidate for dorsal hump reduction

+1
The dorsal hump is composed of both bone and cartilage and has to be shaved down to remove it. Osteotomies of the nasal bones are also required to prevent a flat top nose and to narrow the bridge line.  Once you are 18 years of age, you can make your own decisions, but before that must have parental consent. For many examples of hump removal in our practice, please see the link below

Options for Dorsal Hump Correction

+1
Dear Sunnyside189~

Thank you for your question. Your photo is limited in terms of a specific recommendation because it does not show your entire nose or the rest of your face. The portion of your nose that is visible in the photo nose actually looks very straight on profile view (no dorsal hump).  Removing a dorsal hump requires rhinoplasty surgery, although sometimes it is possible to camouflage the hump by carefully placed fillers.  There are not really any other options for changing the appearance of the nose.

If you have concerns about your nose, a consultation with a rhinoplasty surgeon would help you better understand what your options are (with your parents permission of course).

Amy Hsu

Amy K Hsu, MD