Liposuction, or Full Tummy Tuck? (photo)

32, Mom of 2 kids (1 C-Section), 5'8, 180 lbs. I have consults scheduled with 4 different ASPS boarded surgeons next week (Seattle area). Real Self has been a huge source of information in this journey, so I thought I would seek opinions here also. I am here to ask if I can expect skin retracting with liposuction only, or am I strictly a Tummy Tuck patient? Also, can a TT ever be done over an existing C-Section scar? Thank you, I appreciate your expert advice!

Weight loss, liposuction and mini Tummy Tuck may be required for you

+1

Thank you for your question and photographs. I am happy that you're consulting more than 1 plastic surgeon.

There is significant fat beneath the skin as well as loose skin and your lower abdomen.

Your Tummy Tuck result will be best if you are able to lose some weight before surgery. From the photograph it appears that you may also need liposuction in addition to your Tummy Tuck.

Surgery

+1

You appear to have some abdominal wall laxity and some hanging skin. Liposuction alone cannot correct these problems

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Liposuction vs tummy tuck

+1

As has been said, liposuction alone for the postpregnancy abdomen is rarely the best option because it does nothing for the muscle laxity or the extra skin.  These are addressed in a TT.  You might want to ask the surgeons if they think you are at an optimal weight at this point fo the best result.  Good luck!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck v Liposuction

+1

Thank you for your question and pictures.  Liposuction of your abdomen will definitelyget rid of the extra fat and be an improvement, but it will do nothing for the extra skin and separation of your abdominal muscles that are the result of pregnancy.  The tummy tuck  will give you a tighter result, but is a bit more recovery and has a scar associated with it.  To carefully think through the best choice for you an in person consultation would be best.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Liposuction vs Tummy Tuck

+1

You are not a candidate for liposuction alone. You have too much skin for such procedure. You need a full abdominoplasty with some ancillary liposuction,  whether its VASER or other forms. A well executed abdominoplasty for you can be a magical operation, and  a poorly judged liposuction can be really disastrous.  I am happy that you are seeing qualified Board Certified ASPS members in our area. You will be guided in the right direction. Good Luck.

Sepehr Egrari, MD

A tummy tuck and liposuction usually work best together and give maximum results.

+1

Yes, RealSelf is a great source of information for patients.  In terms of procedure selection, it depends on what your expectations are.  The maximum improvement will come from a tummy tuck with simultaneous liposuction.  I would recommend that you look at photos depicting both liposuction alone and the combination treatment and decide what you would be most happy with.  My concern is that liposuction will still leave you with loose skin (any skin contraction is minimal) and you might regret not going ahead with the tummy tuck.  Regardless, you need liposuction for your flank areas.  Be sure your surgeon does liposuction at the same time as a tummy tuck.  Otherwise you will look nice and flat in the tummy but wide on the sides.  I recommend that you examine at least ten sets of before and after photos before committing to a surgeon (my rule of ten).  If you approve of 10 sets of results, the odds are in your favor that you will be happy with yours.  I've attached a link to my own website just so you can see some examples.  Also, check out the liposuction section for comparison, if you like.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck or lipo

+1

You will easily be able to find someone to perform lipo on you, but I feel that there is no doubt that you would be better off with a tummy tuck. You have too much loose skin.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Ertified lipidologists nationwide. The American Board of Clinical Lipidology

+1

As you can read the experts are choosing full tummy tuck, as am I. So best to forget about the liposuction as a choice. Good luck 

Tummy tuck is the ideal body contouring procedure for patients with abdominal skin laxity

+1

Based on the appearance of your photos- I would recommend a tummy tuck, which would address your skin laxity, rounded abdominal appearance and fattiness. Liposuction can be combined with the procedure to optimize the result. Liposuction alone would leave you with worsened skin laxity.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck or lipo

+1

Thank you for your question and posting pictures. It would appear that you are a good candidate for tummy tuck with a little lipo sculpture as well. Liposuction alone will not give you the tight flat abdomen that abdominoplasty can achieve . The scar can be placed below your C Section scar removing it completely

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon