Does Insurance Cover Prescription Medication Needed for Mommy Makeover?

I'm covered by my moms insurance until i turn 26, but there wont be any appointments open with my plastic surgeon until a month after my coverage ends. Im worried that I will not be able to get the surgery due to not having insurance anymore. I know that insurance does not cover cosmetic procedures, but I was wondering if it covers the prescriptions that are given by the plastic surgeon? Also, do i need to be insured in order for my PS to operate on me even though insurance wont pay? Thanks!

+2

Although cosmetic surgical procedures are not covered, medications usually are. Except for some pricey medicines, no authorization protocols are used by any carriers that I know.

Assuming you are paying for you makeover, I cannot imagine that your surgeon will care about insurance coverage. However, if you have a complication requiring covered hospital care, you will be out of luck. (Some medical complications of surgery wind up being covered).

Thanks for your question, best wishes.

Insurance Coverage and Cosmetic Procedures

+1

Insurance coverage comes in handy for medications after surgery and in cases that may require additional hospital treatment.

Insurance and Mommy Makeover Surgery

+1

You will need to ask your surgeon what his/her policy is in regards to patients having surgery and not having medical insurance.  Because you are a "cash pay" patient, I do not think that your surgeon will require you to have medical insurance.  In my practice, the patients who have medical insurance do use their insurance for the medication needed for after surgery.  If you have a complication that requires hospitalization, that is when you may need the medical insurance.

Insurance for Medications for Mommy Makeover

+1

Many medical insurance plans cover medications that are ordered as part of a cosmetic surgery plan.  Check with your particular insurer to confirm.

David Stoker, MD

Insurance and Prescriptions for a Mommy Makeover

+1

Prescriptions are usually covered no matter what the surgical procedure is. Also if you were to have a complication after surgery, that should be covered as well, even if the procedure is cosmetic. Insurance plans each have their own requirements so it would be a good idea to contact them in advance so you don't have any surprises. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Insurance covers medications

+1

Most insurance policies will cover prescriptions even for cosmetic surgery, as long as the medications are on their approved list.

Lawrence Iteld, MD