Is Voluma appropriate for lip-plumping?

I have super thin lips. I'm researching which filler is the best for plumping them up. Thinking of Voluma...thoughts?

Voluma is NOT appropriate for the lips

+2
Voluma is FDA approved for cheek augmentation. With that said, it is used by plastic surgeons and dermatologists to fill other "off label" areas. However, the lips are definitely not a place where you want Voluma. It is designed for deeper injection in the face and will not create a natural look or feel when injected in your lips. Juvederm is great so why risk a cheek filler in your lips?!?

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma Indications - Great Filler

+2
Voluma is a natural hyaluronic acid filler just like Juvederm and Restylane.  The "on-label" indications are for the cheek and mid face regions.  This is an excellent product that achieves phenomenal results.

These products are malleable (soft) and we can shape them like clay, they now have a 2 years FDA approved longevity, and are reversible should you not like the results. This product has already changed our approach to the aging face.

We have used Voluma in other parts of the face with great success as well.  I have not yet used Voluma in the "red lip", but we have used it in the cheek folds, lip folds, brow area with fantastic results.

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is Voluma appropriate for lip plumping

+2

No. Voluma is FDA approved for the mid-face. While it's a hyaluronic acid filler, the actual particle size is large, so it needs to be injected into deeper tissue. Additionally, putting it into the lips would make them HUGE and not appropriate sized at all. Voluma should not be put into the lips. You should seek a well-qualified injector and most likely get Restylane or Perlane. You want a subtle, natural look. You don't want to look like a cartoon character. 

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Voluma in the lips.

+1
Voluma is not an appropriate filler for the lips.  It made for the cheek area and the firmness of the product would yield an unnatural look and feel to the lips.  There are better products on the market for lip fillers.

Susan D. Vasko, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

VOLUMA IN THE LIPS

+1
Voluma has been recently approved for treatment of the midface region and results can be expected for up to 2 years.  Due to the consistency of the product, I would NOT recommend Juvederm Voluma for lip enhancement; rather, the Juvederm Ultra and Juvederm Ultra Plus products work excellently.

If you are desiring more longevity, I commonly perform the Permalip implantation, which provides permanent, natural results for lip enhancement.

Good luck!

Jeffrey B. Wise, MD, FACS
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is Juvéderm Voluma right for lip plumping?

+1
No. It's a fantastic new filler for us in the US, but Voluma is meant for a more robust effect than would be appropriate for the lips. I'm loving the results with Voluma. It creates a beautiful and natural lift to the cheeks, and that in turn lifts the nasolabial folds.

Kimberly Finder, MD
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma for Lip Plumping

+1
Voluma was recently FDA-Approved to treat volume loss in the cheek area and is not approved for lip plumping. However, it may be appropriate. Please see a board certified dermatologist, plastic surgeon, occuloplastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon for their recommendations. There are several other dermal fillers such as Restylane, Boletero and Juvederm that are more suitable for enhancing the volume of the lips. A board-certified dermatologist can help develop a unique plan for you to ensure the best and most natural results are achieved.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma is not for filling lips

+1
I would not suggest Voluma to inject lips. Volume is not the goal if an unsightly enlargement would occur. Aesthetic volume enhancement is done on lips, off label, with less dense fillers such as Juvederm or Restylane or Belotero. Voluma is designed to inject the deep planes of the mid cheek and I would imagine that lips would look very unnatural if injected with Voluma.

Ronald Shelton, MD