Should I Get my Deviated Septum Fixed?

Nose was broken many times and I have bad airflow. Should I get it fixed? Is it expensive? How much will it cost?

Septo-rhinoplasty for broken nose

+2

Multiple nasal fractures usually result in a  twisted nose, and a deviated septum. Airflow  restriction and blockage is quite common after the multiple injuries. Surgery performed for medically related breathing issues it is submitted to insurance, and patient's have to pay their co-pays and  deductibles which apply. Any cosmetic improvement of the nose must be paid for by the patient themselves, and our price list is listed our website. Cosmetic and functional nasal surgery can be performed together under one anesthesia. Please see the link below for our photo gallery and more information on functional nasal surgery

Options on how to deal with deviated septum

+2

It's totally up to you on whether you should have your crooked septum repaired. If the blocked airflow is bothersome for you then septoplasty surgery is certainly something you could consider doing.

The surgery is normally covered by insurance, if you have insurance. Your surgeon's office should be able to give you an idea of your cost for surgery based on your specific plan.

You can learn more about septoplasty surgery at my web reference link below.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Deviated septum surgery

+2

Septoplasty can certainly help improve your breathing.  The recovery is typically 5-6 days and it should be covered by your insurance.  If you desire any cosmetic improvement of the nose at the same time the procedure is called rhinoplasty and insurance does not cover that.

Sam Naficy, MD

Should I Get my Deviated Septum Fixed?

+1

If the deviated septum is contributing to a breathing problem and you want to improve your breathing, fixing the septum may be indicated.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Septoplasty

+1

If your breathing is a problem and your septum is deviated it might be a good idea for you to get evaluated for repair of the deviation.

Septoplasty is inexpensive and covered by insurance

+1

A deviated septum should be fixed to improve your nasal breathing. A septoplasty is usually covered by insurance and if you are looking to pay out of pocket then costs can vary depending on the amount of anesthesia and operating room fees. Surgeon's costs range from $2000 to $3000.

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD

Surgery to improve "bad" nasal airflow

+1
If your septum is crooked and causing obstruction to your nasal airflow, then a septoplasty can help to improve the breathing through your nose. If you have insurance, this corrective surgery should be covered. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD

Rhinoplasty with septoplasty for difficulty breathing.

+1

Rhinoplasty with septoplasty for difficulty breathing is covered by insurance and should greatly improve your breathing. See a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. 

Septoplasty surgery

+1

Dear anon,

1. If the nose was broken several times, a septoplasty would help, and there may be additional areas that need to be addressed
  2. We frequently address the airway when performing nose surgery so your problem is very common
  3. The cost can be covered by insurance, and if you do not have insurance, it is usually dependent on how much time it will take
  4. When you are ready, see a septoplasty specialist that can answer all of your questions and concerns

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Not all breeding problems are related to a deviated septum.

+1

Breathing difficulties with the nose after trauma are often times complicated. The septum may play a role as well as the turbinates in the internal nasal valve. A thorough evaluation by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon will help you and the cost for the airway correction will be given.