Is Scupltra Safe to Augment Bridge of Nose and Does It Delay Opportunity for Revision Surgery?

I am 3.5 months post op rhinoplasty. Physician used sculptra last week to fill in significant size depression on higher part of bridge. He advised it was safe, temporary and would not impact opportunity for revision surgery. He is board certified in facial and reconstructive surgery. However, I have tried to research Sculptra since my office visit and have concerns. Please advise as to safety, longevity and impact to revision surgery.

Sculptra

+1

There are risks with using filler to augment the nose.  Instead of using Sculptra, it may be better to use a hyaluronic acid filler (Juvederm, Restylane) to achieve the desired results.

Is Sculptra safe to augment the bridge of the nose?

+1

Using filler to augment the nasal dorsum can be dangerous for the following reasons:

1) There is risk of infection
2) There may be asymmetry
3) There may be rejection by the body. 
4) Necrosis can take place, where there is death of tissue.  

Many surgeons do successfully use filler to augment the nasal dorsum, which is referred to as a non-surgical rhinoplasty. However, it is important to understand the risks that are associated.  In general, Sculptra is a fantastic filler for specific areas. Personally, I would not use it for this indication and this would be the first case of Sculptra injection to the nasal dorsum I have heard about. For now, I would recommend communicating your concerns to your surgeon, as he/she knows the details of your initial surgery. Thank you and I hope this helps.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra for nasal augmentation

+1

Although it is safe to use Sculptra for nasal augmentation it is not the best choice.  Sculptra stimulates the body to make new collagen.  This process is not predictable enough to provide the level of precision necessary for the nose.  Furthermore, although it is difficult to say exactly how long the effect of Sculptra lasts, the lifespan of normal collagen is 10-15 years.   Juvederm or Restylane would be a better choice.  They can be used very precisely, would not interfere with a revision surgery and can be dissolved if necessary.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon