Sculptra for Acne Scars?

I am 60 and considering sculptra for depressed areas. The doc I consultes in new jersey Stated that this could help. Any opinions.

Sculptra

+1

Sculptra may work well to improve the appearance of depressed acne scars.  There are other procedures like laser resurfacing that may be beneficial as well.  

Sculptra for acne scars

+1

In the right hands, Sculptra works great to improve the appearance of depressed acne scars.  Once the Sculptra restores volume to the affected areas, a fractionated laser (Fraxel) can be used to resurface the skin and further improve the appearance.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Sculptra for acne scars

+1

I really like Sculptra for surface irregularities such as acne scarring.  The global volumizing change improve the contour of the skin.  Seek out someone who is experienced with Sculptra as it is somewhat technique dependent.

Stefan Mark Szczerba, MD

Sculptra To Treat Acne Scars

+1

A full treatment of Sculptra Aesthetic, an average of three injection sessions over a few months, can last up to two years. Sculptra is made from poly-L-lactic acid, which helps to replace lost collagen. It helps correct shallow to deep facial wrinkles, and folds, that appear with aging by replacing lost collagen. Therefore, Sculptra should work for acne scars, but not permanently. Best of luck.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Sculptra for Acne Scars

+1

I have had some good results with sculptra for acne scars.  It is delayed gratification since it comes on slow and gradual.  (If you want instant gratification use restylane or juvederm.)  Sculptra stimulates your own body to form collagen.  By thickening and firming the face the scars are less noticeable and seem smaller.  This combined with a fractionated CO2 laser gives the best results.  Unfortunarely we can improve the scars but nothing can make them disappear completely.  

Janet M. Neigel, MD
West Orange Oculoplastic Surgeon

Acne scars are not really helped by Sculpra unless you combine another modality such as laser to treat the surface.

+1

Acne scars remain one of the most difficult areas we treat even with all the new modalities.

Currently we combine a filler with a fractionated laser (we use the Mixto) for scars that are not very deep.  It works well but may take several sessions.

For the really deep (ice pick scars) punch excision or grafting may be necessary.

Dr. Mayl

Fort lauderdale

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of acne scars

+1

Acne scarring is a process that takes place within the skin and I therefore prefer treating acne scars with a more superficial filler such as Restylane. Restylane is injected into the skin at the level of the mid to deep dermis. I feel that Sculptra is at its best for volume replacement in the face which requires much deeper injections beneath the skin. I do not think it would work well in the treatment of most acne scars.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon