Nodule of Sculptra Along Chin Line. Anything I Can Do?

+1

Thank you for your question. I would recommend massaging the area for 5 minutes, 5 times a day for 5 days.  I also recommend seeing your injector to assess the area. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Sculptra

+1

Treatment options may include continued observation, steroid injections, or even surgical removal.  Treatment may be influenced by how long the nodule has been there for, how long ago treatment was, the size of the nodule, and location.  

Sam Naficy, MD

Treatment for Sculptra nodule

+1

Early nodules appear one to three months after treatment and most spontaneously disappear. Later nodules can occur from six months to three years and are larger and more inflamed. They usually appear abruptly and are accompanied by swelling and discoloration. These are often referred to as “granulomas”. These can usually be treated by steroid injections.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra nodule

+1

There are several questions that need to be answered before being able to give you an answer.  How long ago did you have your last Sculptra treatment? How long have you had the nodule?  How big is the nodule?  The answers to these questions would influence what to do.  The recommendation could range from doing nothing, to injecting it with a medication, to surgical removal.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

No eraser for Sculptra

+1

Nodules, or lumps, are the most common complication of Sculptra, and the time frame can be helpful in determining their cause.  If the lumps developed months after injection, the lumps are likely your body’s response to the Sculptra particles, and not the Sculptra itself. While I rarely recommend it, they can be improved with steroid injections if they are visible or symptomatic.  Lumps can be formed by Sculptra without an immune reaction. If the Sculptra was injected in a more concentrated depot in one area, or if the Sculptra is injected more superficially, then lumps may be seen. Regardless of cause, the lumps typically resolve 2 to 3 years after the injections without any treatment.

Lumps can be prevented by not injecting the Sculptra into very mobile areas, and by massaging the area after injection.  I advise my patients to vigorously massage the injected areas for 5 minutes 5 times a day for the first 5 days.

Ramona Behshad, MD
Chesterfield Dermatologic Surgeon