Is Sculptra's Success Related to Patient's Age? (photo)

I am 64. I have had conflicting recommendations. An ocular plastic surgeon recommended sculptra instead of fillers. An aesthetician said she uses sculptra but not on patients older than 60, as they do not have sufficient collagen to stimulate. Instead, she would use radiesse at temples and mid cheeks and belotero in upper lip and tear troughs. A dermatologist said she would do the same as the aesthetician bc she found sculptra to be unreliable. Why the conflicting recommendations re age?

Sculptra and age

Sculptra relies on your body's ability to form collagen.  Our ability to form collagen never truly goes away, but does diminish with age.  In addition we tend to lose more volume in our face when we get older.  I don't hesitate to use Sculptra in someone older than 60, and it is still by far one of the best volumizers for the face.  

Sculptra and Age limit

Sculptra is a great facial injection and there is absolutely no age limit.  It may take more Sculptra just as it would take more filler with an older face to replace lost volume.  Younger patients generally need less volume replaced but it is equally effective on older patients.  In fact, it is a very natural look and I think particularly well suited for older patients.  With any cosmetic procedure please find a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with cosmetic injections.

Differential collagen stimulation and production relative to patient's age

Clinically there has been an observed inverse correlation between a patient's age and the amount of collagen generation, meaning as a patient becomes more advanced in age, the more vials of Sculptra are needed to achieve the same effect. Younger skin has a greater amount of collagen and the cells that produce collagen, so does create a more brisk response to injected Sculptra. There is no age limit for Sculptra, and sometimes even in patients undergoing facelift Sculptra is sometimes used to replace some of the lost volume.

A quick comment about the tear troughs - the eyelid skin is very thin, and Sculptra should not be injected in this area because of the risk of irregularities. For this area, Belotero and Restylane are the best options.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Sculptra's Success Related To Age

There is not an age limit for Sculptra in the face.  More mature faces may need more Sculptra as their faces may be more volume depleted than younger faces.  I have used Sculptra successfully on patients close to 90 who have done quite well.  

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon