Sculptra 5 Days Ago and have knots?

I had Sculptra done 5 days ago, swelling was minor and surprisingly no bruising, I did my massaging as recommended 5*5*5 , no cheating, on the 5th day I have noticed two knots one bigger than the other on each side of chin along jawline. To my best knowledge they weren't there first 5 days. Should I b worried? Can they b caused by rigorous massage or should I keep massaging? What can I do?

Sculptra nodules 5 days later

+2

It is possible to get the nodules this early. You should keep massaging and if not better in one week then see your doctor. At that point your doctor can try using a very small amount of kenalog in the nodule center. It can be very difficult to get rid of the nodule. The most important thing you need to know is that the nodule is harmless. If it is not visible but only palpable then leave it alone. If it is visible then you can get treated with either Kenalog or 5-FU injections once a month. The other option is to elevate the area around the visible nodules using Juvederm or Restylane.

Regards

Dr. J

Disclaimer: This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra nodules after 5 days?

+1

Sculptra nodules (so called) are a late development due to small accumulations of the material (poly l lactic acid) which were not evenly distributed causing a small scar like lump.  They usually take many months to developed and there are a variety of remedies, including patience, to make them disappear.  Lumps after only 5 days are probably small hematomas related to the injection process and continued massage and in a little time they will go away.

Stephen Mandy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Sculptra

+1

I would encourage you to keep massaging and to follow-up with your physician for an evaluation.  This may be swelling or it may indeed be a nodule.  

Sam Naficy, MD

Sculptra five days ago and has knots

+1

Which areas of your face were treated with Sculptra?  Was in injected along your jaw area or above it?  I would say the most likely cause of the "knots" you're seeing along your jawline is that there probably was some mild swelling after the treatment and normally, this swelling travels downward as it subsides.  I would not continue with massage at this point and believe you just need a few more days for the swelling to go down.  It is too early after your treatment to develop any Sculptra nodules, so you don't need to worry about that.  If you feel that these knots are not resolving within a few days, I would return to your treating physician to be evaluated.   

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon