Sculptra For Aging Face. Am I a Candidate With Auto Immune Issues?

I am 62 yrs old with auto immune issues, Chrohns , polymyalgia rehumatica, and reynaulds. These injectibles are the first that have gotten my interest to fill in my aging face since I am small and and thin. I do know that this method has been successful in HIV patients so I was wondering if it would have any adverse actions on my conditions

Sculptra should only be used in patients with healthy immune systems

+1

SculptraAesthetic was approved by the U.S. FDA for use in people with healthy immune systems. Because of the risk of granulomas (areas of walled-in inflammation), Sculptra is not generally used in people with autoimmune diseases. Since Crohns disease is a disease that causes the body to make too many granulomas in general, it is especially risky in that population. In fact, many of the current Sculptra studies exclude patients with known autoimmune disease from their studies. HIV causes a depleted immune system, which is different than the immune dysregulation seen in autoimmune disease.

Chesterfield Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra is not for you

+1

Patients with autoimmune disorders should not have Sculptra injections, as complications can occur, including granuloma like lumps and painful nodules. Another option is Selphyl, a skin rejuvenation process derived from your own blood platelets. 

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra and Autoimmune disease

+1

I would say you would do fine with sculptra.  Sculptra is poly lactic acid which is an absorbable suture material.  It is suspended in solution and injected under the skin.  Each bit of suture material forms its own scar tissue or collagen around it. 

I am not aware of any data that would suggest that Sculptra is a bad thing for you. Give it a try.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

You are NOT a candidate for Sculptra.

+1

Sculptra is not really a filler, it is an imunostimulatory agent which activates your own cells to make collagen. Since your immune system is out of control, it may cause too much inflamation or not enough.

Jeffrey Schiller, MD
Staten Island Oculoplastic Surgeon