Training and Qualifications to Give Sculptra Injections

The doctor I usually go to for Sculptra suddenly stopped offering it because the company that makes Scupltra says he isn't qualified. What changed?  Who can I go to now for Sculptra?

Sculptra injection requires skill

+3

Sculptra is a unique product in that it is a "stimulatory" filler. This means it requires an active response from the tissue it is injected into. Patient selection as well as skill is needed to get good results. Typically we find that patients who are loosing weight or are smokers seem not to respond as well.
In addition it takes a higher level of skill to properly analyze the face to get artistic results.

We DO NOT USE IT IN THE LIPS OR EYELIDS. While infrequent, problems there are persistant. Other materials such as Restylane are easier to work with and more forgiving.
I train for Sculptra and have used it since it was first introduced.
It is used intra-operatively as well to restore volumn.
There is no perfect single filler so most of our patients get "Combi" routines which include multiple fillers best suited to their needs and wishes.
Dr. Mayl

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra should be used by advanced users

+1

The maker of the Sculptra decided to limit the use of Scupltra to certain core specialties such as facial plastic surgery, plastic surgery, and dermatologist. The reasons are probably several fold. Unlike fillers, Sculptra is a biostimulator, lasting up to two years. As such, any over correction also means longer period of waiting to resolve excessive treatments. Furthermore, unlike fillers, the injection techniques are very different, since one is attempting to restore collagen by thickening the dermis and restoring volume.

Probably the best person to go to receive fillers and/or biostimulators is someone who is experienced in the aesthetic analysis of the face, the qualitifications to perform facial non-surgical and surgical procedures, and the technical experience in all the fillers(hyaluronic acid, radiesse, artefill, etc), biostimulators (Sculptra, platelet rich plasma, etc), and combinations filler-biostimulator (fat grafting, for example).

George Sun, MD

Find a qualified injector for Sculptra

+1

What has changed is that Sanofi Adventis has restricted the physicians who may purchase and inject Sculptra to qualified, properly trained "core aesthetic physicians", which include dermatologists, plastic surgeons, and facial plastic surgeons.

In short, your previous physician is likely not qualified. Good for you for realizing this (and good for the company for taking this patient safety stand). In order to find a qualified physician, I would recommend finding one by zip code directly from Sculptra's website: http://www.sculptraaesthetic.com/

Chad L. Prather, MD
Baton Rouge Dermatologic Surgeon

Clinical outcomes of Sculptra dependent on the skin and artistry of your physician injector

+1

Sculptra injection requires advanced injection techniques that is best administered by a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon, having had one-and-on training provided by Sanofi-Aventis, the manufacturer of Sculptra. In the hands of a skilled physician injector, one can achieve the desirable effect of "Liquid Facelift" with replenish of volume along upper cheeks, temples, eyebrows and mandibles to better support lifting of the skin and counter force of gravity.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Who can inject Sculptra?

+1

Sculptra is picky about who can inject. They only sell to doctors who have been trained during their medical training to do fillers. I am thrilled to see some integrity in the filler market. These are medical procedures. You want to look good, and you need to be safe. Sculptra is unlike other common fillers like juvederm and restalyne. Why?

1. Sculptra lasts for 2 years.
  2. It is for volumizing, and is injected all over the face, including near the eye and temple area.
  3. Many of these injections should be deep along the bone. You need to know your anatomy well!
  4. There is no hyaulronidase to reverse it if it is done poorly.

So the most common doctors to inject are plastic surgeons, facial plastic surgeons, and dermatologists. Those doctors who have had training with the company are listed on sculptra's website.

Lauren Greenberg, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Who is qualified to inject Sculptra?

+1

As a facial plastic surgeon and a clinical trainer for Sculptra, I think it is wise that Sanofi Aventis has limited who can inject Sculptra. Because the effects of Sculptra persist for up to 2 years, and longer in most of my patients, Sanofi Aventis has decided to only train "core specialists" in the injection of Sculptra Aesthetic.

Core specialists are board certified facial plastic surgeons, plastic surgeons and dermatologists. In addition, these core specialists can't open an account to purchase Sculptra until they have had hands on training by a physician who is also a core specialist.

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon