Is Sculptra Safe for Under Eye Bags?

I had a Facelift with great results and my upper eyes done-also great. But they used Restylane under my eyes which I had remove about a year ago. Now I have double bags under my eyes most of the time.

This surgeon propose to do an under eye lift with Tarsal and using 3 vials of Sculptra as well. I'm not sure about his proposal. How do you feel?

Thanks,
Nan Bowers

Sculptra

+1

I would discourage you from using Sculptra in the under eye area.  There is a high risk of developing nodules.  I prefer using Restylane or Juvederm in that area.  

Sculptra under eyes

+1

I think that sculptra under the eyes is a mistake. The biggest risk in sculptra is the creation of bumps or nodules. The location that is at the highest risk for this is under the eyes. Unlike Restylane or Juvederm this cant be cancelled out with Wydase/hyalorinidase. I would use a temporary filler or have your surgeon fat graft there. 

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

Yes, Sculptra for undereye bags

+1

Sculptra was developed as a filler to treat overall facial wasting that occurs with age due to loss of fat and other supporting tissue. It works well to improve contours of the cheeks and improve hollowing around the eyes. Unlike other fillers such as Juvederm, Sculptura stimulates your own tissues to produce collagen so the results improve over several months. Typically 2 treatments spaced several weeks apart will provide the optimum improvement and results are thought to last up to 2 years.

While it's possible to have some bruising and swelling immediately after the injections, it provides recontouring of the face with virtually no down time.

When you're thinking of how to improve your appearance ask you doctor if Sculptura would be right for you.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Fillers under eyes.

+1

Hi!

1) I advise against using Sculptra under the eyebags. It is too "thick" for this delicate area, and may leave bumps. And there is nothing that dissolves it.

2) I don't know why you had trouble with Restylane, but it is the filler of choice for this area. It probably had to do with the way it was done.

3) If you are going to have lower eyelid surgery, then the filler of choice is your own fat, done at the same time while you are sedated.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Eye bags may be fat, festoons, or fluid

+1

Bags under the eyes come from different causes:

• Fullness above the rim of the orbit is usually due to fat protruding from the orbit and can be improved by removal or relocation of the fat surgically
  • Fullness below the orbital rim is usually due to fluid collection. This is the most difficult problem in the area about the lid and does not respond to any form of treatment very well
  • Sometimes, the fullness may be due to sag of the muscle that surrounds eyes.(the orbicularis) and some improvement may be obtained by tightening the muscle. Your surgeon may be trying to use this technque.

If your pre-malar area is flat, you will look better with Sculptra in that area, but not in the lower lids.

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon