How Does Sculptra Work?

I thought Sculptra was for people with HIV. My doctor said it could help me look younger, that I have fat wasting in my face. I don't have HIV, I don't know what fat wasting is. Is this safe?

Sculptra rejuvenates skin

+5

Sculptra is used much more for cosmetic reasons than for HIV and will likely soon gain FDA approval for cosmetic use.

Sculptra has been used with such great success that it is often called the "Liquid Face Lift". This non-invasive treatment corrects the deepest of creases and wrinkles with long-term results using a biodegradable material called "poly-L-lactic acid". Studies have shown that Sculptra's potency can even correct lipoatrophy, a condition that causes facial fat loss. Using numbing medication to minimize discomfort, Sculptra is injected using a fine needle. It works by stimulating collagen production in the skin and fills in what has been lost with age. Results are gradual and, depending on the level of improvement desired and the severity of the problem, anywhere between 3-5 monthly treatments may be needed. Once the desired look is achieved, this semi-permanent treatment appears to last greater than two years.

The best areas for Sculptra treatment are cheeks and jowls.

The worst areas for Sculptra treatment are the eyelids and tear trough areas.

Scupltra isn't just for HIV

+4

Sculptra® is approved by the FDA for restoration and/or correction of the signs of facial fat loss (lipoatrophy) in people with human immunodeficiency virus. It is used "off label" in non-HIV patients. It is my preferred filler for patients like, as you describe, have lost fat in their face and either don't have any fat for transfer or would rather not undergo that procedure.

Fat wasting is mere loss of fat in the face or anywhere else for that matter this can occurs with aging. Sculptra® is a safe product that relies on your body's reaction to it to "fill". It also causes thickening of the skin. It is important to realize that it usually takes a couple of treatments to get to the desired result (which may take 3-6 months). Once the endpoint is reached, it may last up to 2 years.

Jeffrey Kenkel, MD

Sculptra to help you look younger

+2

It is important to understand the difference between "stimulatory" fillers and "wrinkle" fillers. When treating problems due to volume loss (fat wasting) such as cheek hollows and sagging skin beside the mouth, I will almost always use stimulatory fillers such as Sculptra and/or Radiesse. They are injected more deeply, beneath the skin, and will generate more volume to create a much better lifting effect for sagging skin. They work by stimulating your skin to produce more collagen, which is why they are so effective, and give longer-lasting results too. I often combine Radiesse and Sculptra treatments for different areas of the face as I feel they each have certain advantages, when properly used, to fix specific problems due to volume loss.

It is a very safe treatment but please remember, your results depend upon the skill and experience of your physician injector. 

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra for facial rebalance and volume for a number of reasons

+2

Sculptra was initially FDA approved for HIV patients here in the US but had been used for a number of years in Europe and the UK for cosmetic use. It was used off label here since that time - and even before for the investigator trials. In 2009 the FDA approved it here for cosmetic purposes. The HIV patients were essentially having the treatment for cosmetic purposes but the approval initially did not include a broad scope cosmetic use for those simply seeking aesthetic improvement.

Facial fat wasting is an unwanted loss of the fat that keeps the face plump. Excess fat loss in the face leads to a gaunt appearance which can be aging. Your doctor is correct in stating it can make you look more youthful.

I will often use Sculptra as a re balancing agent. Most of us have some level of asymmetry in our facial features - one cheek may be wider, one jowl area lower or heavier, one or both temples depressed or pinched. Sculptra can be used to bring the face into a more harmonious balance so you just "look better".

Primary reputation at this point is that Sculptra is used to restore lost volume, but it can be used just as well to create volume that was never there in the first place.

I have many younger patients who particularly enjoy the effects of re balancing as it evens out features and makes them look and feel prettier.

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

Sculptra

+2

Sculptra is an injectable filler able to restore volume and correct the signs of facial fat loss. Sculptra is made of poly-L-lactic acid (PLLA), a synthetic material that is biocompatible and biodegradable. Sculptra is injected beneath the skin's surface, resulting in a gradual and significant increase in skin thickness, and may be used to treat sunken cheeks, hollow eyes, indentations, folds and other sunken areas.

Good candidates for Sculptra injections include individuals who are physically healthy, realistic in their expectations and looking to improve the appearance of facial fat loss. Sculptra is not appropriate for those who are allergic to any of the ingredients in Sculptra or have an active skin infection or inflammation in the treatment area. Sculptra can provide results lasting up to two years.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

YES, SCULPTRA DOES WORK!

+1
Sculptra was originally used for patients with facial atrophy due to HIV. It was used off label by many doctors for this purpose. Several years ago, Sculptra received FDA approval for cosmetic use. Sculptra is a pulverized poly-lactic-acid filler. Your body recognizes these particles and begins to build collagen around them. This process causes a gradual expansion of volume under the skin over a period of 12 weeks. YES, Sculptra is safe. 

Laura Skellchock, MD
Boca Raton Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra is safe

+1

Sculptra Aesthetic started out as a product to help HIV patients build lost collagen, but has since become an option for anti-aging as well. It is made out of the same material as dissolvable sutures. When it is injected, your body has a response to build collagen around the foreign material. After your body builds collagen around the injection, it dissolves and you are left with your own natural collagen. Because of the gradual nature of this product, we recommend that patients come in 3 times 4 weeks apart to get the desired result.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Sculptra Induces Collagen Formation

+1

Sculptra is a form of L-Poly Lactic Acid, a synthetic bio-polymer that induces collagen formation and subsequent volume production over a 4-6 week period.  It does not do the same thing as a Facelift, nor should it be considered a Facelift alternative in the setting of jowls and obliquity in the neck.  Although Sculptra has been associated with problems in the past, the technique of deeper injections is associated with fewer nodules and other associated issues.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra helps to treat the underlying cause of aging

+1

Sculptra was originally FDA approved for treating facial fat loss in patients with HIV drug associated facial wasting. It has now been FDA approved for treating volume loss associated with normal aging. One of main reasons we look "older" with time is the loss of overall facial volume. The lines we see in the face are like seeing cracks in the walls of a house. The cracks can be filled or the foundation can be repaired. Sculptra works to rebuild facial volume and make the overall face look better. At around 35 years of age we start to make less collagen in our face and in the mid 40's we start to destroy collagen as a natural part of aging. Sculptra stimulates the body to make collagen again, almost like planting very small seeds. You can think of it as the bedspread and the mattress, the mattress (facial structures) gets smaller and the bedspread (skin) gets blamed for the change in appearance. I have used Sculptra on patients for over 7 years and I have been very happy with the results, so happy I had the treatment done on me.

Ben J. Tittle, MD

How Sculptra works

+1

Sculptra was initially approved by the FDA for use in individuals with HIV who had lost volume in the cheeks and face (lipoatrophy).  It then received approval for cosmetic use.  Everyone loses bone, fat, and soft tissue as they age, and fat pads under your skin shift.  Sculptra works by stimulating collage production in your skin, thus replacing the volume lost through aging.  It is often referred to as a "liquid face lift" because of the incredible results that can be achieved.  

Timothy G. Rodgers, MD
Frisco Dermatologist