What Are Other Treatments for Sunken Cheeks Aside from Sculptra?

What is the best tx for adding volume to sunken cheeks for a female with a smaller face (delicate features, slender frame)? I have had one session of Sculptra (2 vials) 2 weeks ago. I realize the results are yet to be known of that treatment.

In looking ahead, should I consider a combination of different treatments to get the desired effect? I don't want to over do it, but want a noticable, yet subtle, natural effect.

Finally, as a sidenote, if after 2 weeks post Sculptra I have not experienced lumps that I have read so many have had, can I feel confident that I am out of the woods? Or is there still time for the lumps to appear well after 2 weeks? Thanks in advance.

Many options for cheek enhancement

+3

Sculptra is one good option for non-surgical volume enhancement. I recommend to give it 4 weeks before judging the results; 2 vials is a good start for subtle improvment. Many patients easily require 4 treatments (= 8 vials) before they are where they want to be.

As alternatives, you may consider Radiesse, Perlane, or Juvederm Plus. Any of these injectables can give you a good volume enhancement with moderate longevity.

Fat transfer, although minimally invasive, does require more recovery if sufficient fat volume is placed. We like it a lot for its durability but still prepare our patients for 2 sessions.

Cheek implants are the final consideration. They "get the job done" in usually one procedure but need to be placed accurately (as of course is true with all the other treatments).

Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stay with the same product if you get good early results

+3

Sculptra should be use in the "treat - wait - re-evaluate - treat again " fashion.

The response to Sculptra is frequently not seen for 8-10 weeks, especially in thin patients who work-out.

We use virtually all products, but seldom use only one. Typically, a patient like you will have either Sculptra or Radiesse to build up volume in the cheeks and mid-face, Juvederm to restore the lips, and Restylane for the hollows below the lids.

In addition, in the "enhanced liquid lift," we will shrink the face with a Mixto treatment which makes the injections more effective. Think of "Fill for the foundation, Shrink for the skin envelope.

Dr. Mayl

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra

+1

Sculptra would be a good option for the cheeks.  Radiesse is another good option.  There is also Juvederm and Restylane as well.  Fat grafting may be a good treatment for you as well.  I would recommend that you see a board certified facial plastic surgeon for an evaluation. 

Sam Naficy, MD

Sunken cheeks are best addressed with cheek implants

+1

The lumps from Sculptra can occur even years after the procedure has been done. Sunken cheeks are best addressed with a set of cheek implants that are made of Silastic plastic, placed above the upper teeth onto the upper cheekbone to augment the existing cheek area.