Sculptra for Sunken Cheeks

I am 70 years old and I've had two facelifts previously. My cheeks are sunken, as my skin is very thin. I am very healthy, but my cheeks look damaged. Is Sculptra for me? How many injections does it usually take, and how much does it cost?

Sculptra excellent to achieve volume restoration in sunken cheeks

+3

Sculptra injection stimulates production of collagen and can achieve volume restoration in sunken cheeks. However, I find the clinical results to be more consistent among younger patients (e.g. 65 years and younger) vs. older patients (e.g. older than 70 years old), presumably due to greater innate potential for stimulation of collagen production. For this reason, I recommend consideration of Sculptra injection sooner than later, particularly when sagging along cheeks is recognized and restoration of volume becomes a priority.

Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra is My First Choice for Sunken Cheeks

+3

For sunken cheeks with thin skin I believe Sculptra to be the absolute best choice. I recommend using one vial per treatment and it usually takes from three to five treatments, four to six weeks apart. We charge $650 per vial and I do all the injections in my office. Please remember, your results depend upon the skill and experience of your physician injector.

I do not recommend using a hyaluronic acid filler for sunken cheeks. i have seen too many patients who have been injected by a different physician and are quite unhappy that the hyaluronic acid filler did not last longer than a few months.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra for Sunken Cheeks

+3

You will love it. It works great for the sunken cheeks. Its hard to guess without looking at a photo but my guess is you will need 2 vials in each session and 3 sessions in all to achieve the desired results.

VERY IMPORTANT TO GO TO SOMEONE WHO DOES A LOT OF SCULPTRA.

In the wrong hands it can cause a lot of problems. Also, please remember to massage as frequently as you can for the first week after the injections. A good way to remember; Massage 555, 5minutes 5 times a day for 5 days.

Goodluck.

Regards.

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra is excellent for revolumizing cheeks but caution advised in thin skin

+2

Sculptra (poly-L-lactic acid) is derived from alpha hydroxy acids and is similar in composition to minute particles of suture material.  When those particles are injected under the skin, they start what is essentially a foreign body reaction around which the skin deposits new collagen.  For global facial volume loss, this is an ideal product with whichi to correct.  The results are gradual and natural, gently supplying more volume over a period of time.

Usually three injection sessions are needed approximately 6 weeks apart.  Results begin to be apparent about 1 month after the second injection session.  For moderate to severe volume loss, usually 2 vials are needed per injection session.  Depending on your geographic area, a vial of Sculptra is between $700 and $1200.  The results last 2 - 2 1/2 years after the injections.

Here is a word of caution, though. With newer techniques and dilutions nodules that result from Sculptra injections are much more rare, however not unheard of.  Usually those small nodules are just felt but not seen.  In people with very thin, transparent skin, they may be visible, if they form.  Most of the time, the risk of nodule formation can be significantly decreased by increasing the dilution of Sculptra and by strict adherence to the massage schedule after each injection of 5 minutes 5 times a day for 5 days.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra for sunken cheeks...

+2

Sculptra is a great procedure if you have sunken cheeks.  Sculptra is long lasting but not a quick fix.  It provides results that get better over time, replacing lost collagen, and giving you a more natural looking apperance.  The treatment is an average of three sessions over a few months, and the results can last up to two years.  Sculptra is about $800 per session.  Fat injection is another option to explore as well.  Be sure to see a board certified facial plastic or plastic surgeon who has a lot of experience in this area.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra excellent filler & better than cheek implants

+2

Sculptra is a superior choice to build cheek volume. Sculptra is not only superior to most other injectable fillers on the market today also a better choice, I believe, than cheek implants which not only requires surgery but cheek implants cannot be sculpted to account for the asymmetries of your cheeks. I have found nearly all cheeks to be asymmetric and sculptra allow your plastic surgeon to more easily even out the cheek asymmetries. The cheek is 3 dimensional and has various sections including the malar area, submalar area, lateral upper cheek, pre-auricular area. To acheive a good cosmetic result, your surgeon must have be able to identify and treat the aspects of the cheek require enhancement.

Anita Mandal, MD
Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra was made for sunken cheeks

+2

I have tried almost every filler on the market for sunken cheeks and none compare to Sculptra. Montreal, where my clinic is located, has many experienced injectors but only a few have a lot of experience with Sculptra as it is not as easy to use as other fillers. When properly injected in sunken cheeks, Sculptra will give a gradual, natural-looking filling that makes it look as though the patient has put on weight, but only on the facial areas that needed it. It also has the benefit of lasting two years or more, far longer than the HA fillers (Restylane, Juvederm etc.)

My usual protocol for sunken cheeks is to inject one vial per cheek at the first session and then half a vial per cheek at the second session, two months later. Some patients may need more than this or a third session, depending on how severe their case is. We charge $800.00 per vial. Every patient I have injected so far has been pleased with their result.

Arie Benchetrit, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra is great for sunken cheeks

+2

Sculptra would be a great choice for your sunken cheeks.  Another option that you may want to consider is fat grafting.  We are having great success with both in restoring a more youthful looking cheek.

Suresh Koneru, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra for cheeks

+2

Sunken cheeks is the original indication for Sculptra. It works very well for this indication and lasts for several years. It's hard to tell how much you would need without seeing you, but most patients require two vials for at least 2 and usually 3 sessions (4-6 weeks between sessions). Sculptra is more expensive than the other fillers but again, it lasts for several years so the overall cost is probably cheaper. It all depends on the amount of product you require as well as what part of the country you live in. The price range is probably $2000-3000 for two vials. Good luck!

Dr. Singer

Elan B. Singer, MD

Sculptra is the best injectable for thin skinned patients with sunken cheeks

+2

Of the various injectables, we have found that Sculptra is the most natural in patients who have a "gaunt" face with sunken cheeks and thin skin.

It does take multiple sessions and is "techi".

Use only an experienced injector and follow the aftercare rountine meticulously and you should like the outcome.

The cost depends on the amount of product you will need and the number of sessions.

Fortunately, it is the longest lasting of the non-permanent injections.

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon