Can Sculptra Results Show After Only 5 Days?

I had 1 vial of Sculptra done 5 days ago. I know the swelling is to last for days but, though my face was swollen right after, it was back to my pre-treatment face two hours later. I did ice it. As of yesterday my face has become slightly but visibly fuller. My tear troughs are less visible and my nasolabial folds are much smoother. I've checked this in every type of light. Could this simply be delayed swelling or swelling from massaging it? I metabolize quickly. Will results be shorter?

It takes time for Sculptra results to show

+2

It is highly unlikely that what you are seeing in the mirror is the true outcome of Sculptra injections.  It is most likely persistent swelling from the fluid that the Sculptra is diluted in.  This is normal.  Results from Sculptra often don't become apparent until after the second vial is injected a month later.  This is also the reason why more than one treatment is required.  It takes time for the collagen to be stimulated.  The good thing is that the results are longer lasting than other fillers.

Swelling After Sculptra

+2

At just five days after your Sculpta injection, it is very unlikely that you are already seeing results.  You are likely seeing swelling from the injection or from the massage as you suggest.  It takes months and several treatments to see a full result.  Sculptra is a great product, but does not produce immediate results.  The tradeoff is that it will produce results that are more long lasting than most of the other "fillers."

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Length of time to see results from Sculptra

+2

After a Sculptra treatment, the increase in volume is very gradual, starting 3 months after the injection and achieving a maximum at approximately 5 to 6 months post injection. What you are seeing is either swelling or residual water volume from the treatment and should be only temporary.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra Results

+1

Thank you for your question. I would not anticipate seeing results from Sculptra in 1-2 weeks.  Time is needed for collagen to build and 1-2 weeks is just not enough time to see anything significant.  some residual swelling can account for the change. I hope this helps!

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Sculptra results take time, but they're worth it

+1

It takes weeks to months to see results from Sculptra. In the first few days there is swelling from the liquid need to get the Sculptra injected, as well as some minor swelling from the process of placing the Sculptra. And there may be some swelling from the massaging that we ask our patients to do after the placement. It's said that good things are worth waiting for. 

Kimberly Finder, MD
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra Timing For Results

+1

Sculptra typically takes 6-8 weeks to work.  For the first several days the facial fullness is due to the liquid injected and swelling.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra Results

+1

Sculptra works by stimulating new collagen production. It typically takes at least 1 month to create enough collagen to have a clinical result, so after 5 days this is unlikely related to the treatment and just swelling that will go away.  No studies have been done to determine whether fast metabolizer’s results are shorter, as Sculptra stimulates your own collagen it is not a synthetic filler, so you are not necessarily “metabolizing” it, but if you do lose weight secondary to your high metabolism, you will continue to lose fat in your face, just not the new collagen per se.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra

+1

It is likely that what you are describing is swelling after your Sculptra injections.  The results of Sculptra often become apparent usually after the second treatment session. 

Sam Naficy, MD

Sculptra...

+1

The fullness that you are seeing is more likely caused by the massaging that you are doing...  positive results can not show up that quickly with a volumizer like Sculptra. 

Dr. Grant Stevens         Marina Plastic Surgery Associates             Marina del Rey, CA The Institute

Grant Stevens, MD

Sculptra takes time but last years

+1

The results you're seeing is swelling. It takes many weeks to build collagen and therefore see results. Sculptra is a great bioactivating agent and is a nice compliment to other facial rejuvenating procedures. 

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS