Does Sculptra Results Even Out?

I had two vials of Sculptra 7 months ago and now my left cheek is bigger than my right. Once the collagen is dissolved will the size difference even out or are my facial proportions going to remain uneven?

Facial Asymmetry and Sculptra

+1

Facial asymmetry prior to any treatments or surgery is very common.  Sculptra, fat grafting and other methods can be used to improve facial symmetry.  It is recommended to be evaluated and discuss your concerns with your physician.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra

+1

It would be a good idea to compare the results you have now to a photo of yourself just prior to your treatment.  This way you can see if there was some facial asymmetry prior to treatment, which is common.  It may be possible to do some filler treatment to make things more symmetric.  I would encourage you to follow-up with your physician to discuss your options.

Sam Naficy, MD

Uneven results after Sculptra

+1

It's important to point out any presence of asymmetry prior to your Sculptra treatment. Most if not all of my patients present with some asymmetry on their face and Sculptra can be used to minimize it. Another possibility is uneven distribution of Sculptra during treatment. It's impossible to comment without photos and examination. The effect of Sculptra can be quite long lasting which is one of the benefits of Sculptra. Temporarily you may be able to balance out your asymmetry with short term fillers, especially if the asymmetry is significant and obvious.

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

Sculptra Asymmetry

+1

Before you received Sculptra, did you have any pictures taken?  I ask that because most patients who are beginning the volumization process to the face need baseline pics taken and a discussion of the fact we all have asymmetry to our faces which is normal.  Fillers and collagen stimulators can improve that imbalance or can inadvertently accentuate it.  I tell my patients that what you see is what you get with Sculptra usually at the 2 month mark.  If there is asymmetry, it can be addressed with addtional product to the side that didn't volumize as much in order to even things out over time.  And as an answer to your question, yes the volumizing and and additional structure created with Sculptra will ultimately disappear.  It could be several years.  Talk to the doctor who injected you in the first place and I am sure you can find an agreeable solution..

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Uneven after Sculptra

+1

There are several issues that could be affecting your uneven appearance following your Sculptra treatment.  One question is, were you symmetric (or even in appearance) before you had the Sculptra treatment?  Many people do not realize that they are naturally uneven before a filler treatment or surgery.  When Sculptra, or other fillers are used, they can be placed differently on each side to try and make the face more symmetric.  At 7 months after your treatment, you would be seeing the full effect from your treatment.  Since you feel that it's now uneven, I would return to your treating physician to be evaluated.  It's possible that something can be done to make your cheeks more symmetric.  Normally, it can take 2-4 years for the effect from Sculptra to go away. 

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon