Is Sculptra Recommended As Filler for All Areas of the Face?

I'm considering Sculptra. A recently FDA approved dermal filler. Have you heard of this and do you recommend it?

I have used Juvederm in the past for smile lines but the results did not seem to last very long. I heard that Sculptra can last for up to 2 years. Is this true?

I now have some wrinkling around my eyes and heard that Sculptra can be used all over the face unlike some of the other fillers. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sculptra's a nifty product but...

+1

it doesn't take the place of the traditional fillers...it supplements the other products and dramatically reduces the number of vials of filler that may be needed...Sculptra restores lost volume to the face by encouraging your cells to manufacture natural collagen...as a result it tends to last a lot longer...maybe 2 years or more...it's generally placed about the cheek bone, temple, in front of the ears, in the hollows of the cheeks and about the chin...tend to stay away from the eyes and lips...in other words it's used on the periphery of the skin often with dramatic results...but unlike the fillers, the benefits from Sculptra take awhile to appear...several months isn't uncommon...

Sculptra

+1

Sculptra is a great volumizer for cheeks and temple areas.  It should not be considered for treatment in the lips or underneath the eyes.  For these areas, Juvederm or Restylane should be used.  Consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon for an evaluation. 

Sam Naficy, MD

Fillers and facial augmentation

+1

Sculptra is a deep volumizer rather than as an immediate filler. It is not designed for use in the lips. If you have significant loss of volume in the cheeks your deep smile folds you might be a candidate. Sculptra will look good the first several hours until much of the liquid used to dilute it dissolves away. Then the”seeds” cause your body to develop more collagen as a response and over several weeks to months there is improvement. It is usually done two or three times, over several months.

It may help but it may not last that long in the smile folds as these areas are under influence of the muscles that move a lot while we eat, speak and smile.

Fine wrinkles are better treated with Botox and finer fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Sculptra Aesthetic has been recently approved for specific facial corrections and areas

+1

I have just returned from the "Train the Trainers" session for Sculptra Esthetic where I was updated on the latest uses of Sculptra and Sculptra Aesthetic.

You will be hearing a lot about it during the next weeks as they roll out their promotions.

Firstly and importantly the price of Sculptra Aesthetic has been reduced from the original Sculptra, although the material is the same. This will make it more afforadable and allow more dramatic corrections.

Secondly its approval is "for correction of shallow to deep nasolabial fold contour deficiencies and other facial wrinkles..." which could allow its use all about the face.

However, there are specific warnings that it NOT be used in the lips or eyelids. These areas are especially prone to nodules and papules. Avoiding treatment of these areas and good technique greatly reduces the chances of any problems.

It is currently the longest lasting of any temporary filler and has been for years or prefered product for reshaping the face.

Do NOT have Sculpra Aesthetic injected about your eyes. Although not as long lasting, our choice in that area is Restylane.

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon