If Sculptra promotes collagen production, why use to correct folds?

Hi Folks, I'm 32, have developed initial signs of nasal folds, and have begun to seek treatment options. Sculptra, seems to be highly recommended for folds, however, it is also advertised as a means to promoting collagen. From research, it appears folds are a direct result of volume loss within the cheeks. If this is the case, why would a filler promoting collagen production be used, if the issue is fat/volumes loss? I mean, wouldn't a diet rich in Kale also promote collagen production?

Nasolabial folds and correction

+1
Sculptra is a great product as it helps the body produce its own collagen  If you use Sculptra to replace lost volume in the cheeks it will have the effect of lifting the cheeks and reducing the depression in the nasolabial folds.  If your problem is only in the nasolabial folds that a simple filler into that area such as Restylane or Juvderm.  Kale may be healthy but won't build collagen in your face where you need it.  For the best results please find a board certified dermatologist in your area with experience in facial fillers.

Sculptra and fold correction

+1
Folds are a result of volume loss within the cheeks, when Sculptra is injected into the cheeks it stimulates collagen production which will create a more volumized cheek thereby improving the nasolabial fold. If the fold is substantial I would then add a filler directly into the fold, in my office I use either Radiesse, Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm Plus, Juvederm Ultra Plus or Belotero. As far as eating Kale to promote collagen production, when something is ingested all of the healthy nutrients are absorbed by the internal organs before it has a chance to make it to the skin. You can purchase collagen stimulating products to apply topically however; injections would give you a faster fuller result. I like to recommend injections and topicals to my patients to maintain and prolong the benefits of all of our procedures. Consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist to see what would benefit you most.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon