Is it Okay to Massage Sculptra Area to Prevent Nodule from Forming?

Is it okay to keep massing after the first 5 days to prevent a nodule or Granuloma from forming ? I am a 32 years old woman and have had 2 sessions of sculptra in my temporal area and during my 2nd session I also had some injected near my eye bone area near my high cheek close to the Temple area..( looks to me like its the area in between the High cheek bone and the lower lid that needs the correction.. Sorry its hard to describe the location..The sessions have been 6 weeks apart.

Massaging after sculptra

+2

Massaging for the first five days after a Sculptra injection is very important. After the first five days, massaging is not likely to make much more of a difference but it can't hurt. Massaging more than necessary is better than not massaging enough.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Massage is key to Sculptra

+1
It is very important to maintain the rule of fives - massage the treated area five times a day for five minutes for five days.  This should help prevent any potential nodule formation.  It does not seem necessary to do more massage after five days.

Michele S. Green, MD

Sculptra

+1

We encourage patients to massage the treated areas five times a day for five minutes each time over the next five days.  After this, you can still massage the areas, however it may not make too much of a difference at that time.  

Sam Naficy, MD

Massage after Sculptra

+1

I like to give the 5-5-5 rule to my patients after their Sculptra injections: massage 5 minutes, 5 times a day, for 5 days. This helps prevent nodules and ensure a smooth, natural look. 

Donna Bilu Martin, MD
Miami Beach Dermatologist

Yes massage with sculptra

+1

The usual mantra is to massage heavily 5 minutes 5 times a day for 5 days afterwards.  you can continue to massage if you have a bump and please go see your physician to see if anything else can be done. 

Rebecca Baxt, MD
Paramus Dermatologist

Massaging with Sculptra

+1

Yes, massage as often as you can through out your treatments.  This can only help in preventing nodules to form in the skin.  There is no such thing as massaging too much.  I always recommend my patients to massage 5 times a day, 5 minutes a day, for the first 5 days, then switch to at least twice a day.

Hope this helps. 

Dr. Grant Stevens  

Grant Stevens, MD

Massage after Sculptra placement is necessary

+1

It's very important to massage the treated areas after Sculptra injections.

Massage at least:

• 5 minutes at a time
  • twice a day
  • 5 days

The body begins to respond to the presence of the Sculptra particles very quickly and it's important for the Sculptra to be well-distributed. Don't be afraid to massage by pushing against the boney areas of the face. Massaging won't harm the results, and is actually essential for the prevention of pearls of collagen. The other essential is to see a physician who is well versed in the anatomy of the face and understands how aging affects how we look. 

Sculptra is a unique product and in the hands of an experienced physician can truly turn back the aging effects of facial volume loss.

Kimberly Finder, MD
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra complication prevention

+1

Massage is probably the best way to make sure that the Sculptra is evenly distributed as it sets up the collagen formation. Muscle action like in the temple area (temporalis muscle) and others by contraction or else during the injection can concentrate the Sculptra in one area which can cause a nodule. Massage at least a few times per day is helpful.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS