Will the Sculptra Lumps Ever Go Away?

I had my 1st Sculptra in Dec 08. Then 2 more sets in Jan & March 09. I massaged my face as instructed. I was told to do it 3 times a day for 5 days, but was so worried about the formation of lumps I did it at least 5 times a day for more than a week. Unfortunately this did not stop the formation of granulomas. I have an extremly large 1 under my left eye and on my jaw line and many more round my mouth, which not only look unsightly, but also causes me a lot of distress.Is there anything I can do

Persistent nodules after Sculptra

+1

The result of persistent nodules is not typical but can happen unfortunately. Various injections may be tried to dissolve the nodule. Would discuss with your surgeon.

West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Persistent Sculptra bumps

+1

Early nodules can appear one to three months after Sculptra treatment and most spontaneously disappear. Later nodules can occur from six months to three years and are larger and more inflamed. They usually appear abruptly and are accompanied by swelling and discoloration. These are often referred to as “granulomas”. They can usually be treated by steroid injections. Please remember the experience and technique of your physician injector is the most critical part to your achieving a beautiful, A significant reduction of the frequency of nodules has been achieved with higher reconstitution volume of the injected filler, a longer time between reconstitution and injection (36-48 hours rather than 2-12 hours), injections into the deeper tissue, and post injection massage.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra bumps

+1
I know your pain. I actually personally had bumps after Sculptra was injected too superficially under one of my eyes. Sculptra needs to be injected with great care in areas with circular muscles like the muscles around the mouth and eyes. When these muscles contract they tend to gather the Sculptra particles into bigger collections and may also move them more superficially in the skin and this leads to the visible lumps. Let me stress that this is NOT typical with experienced Sculptra injectors. Mine lasted about 3 years. I noticed a HUGE improvent after I had two non ablative Fraxel treatments. Perhaps this is something you could try. Best to you.

Jacqueline Calkin, MD
Sacramento Dermatologic Surgeon