How Long For Sculptra Lump To Go Down?

Does a lump of collagen on the skin surface produced by sculptra go down more slowly than the rest of the collagen in your face or will it go down at the same time? Thank you.

Whether to treat lumps from Sculptra injections

+2

In a recent study, 8.5% of patients injected with Sculptra experienced formation of nodules. All nodules could be felt but were not visible. The onset of nodule formation from the time of injection can vary. Early nodules appear one to three months after treatment and most spontaneously disappear. Later nodules can occur from six months to three years and are larger and more inflamed. They usually appear abruptly and are accompanied by swelling and discoloration. These are often referred to as “granulomas”. They can usually be treated by steroid injections.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

How long for Sculptra to go down

+1

You either have a lump (Aggregate of Polylactic acid or a Granuloma (an immunologic reaction, not un -common.)

If it is only palpable but not visible, I would do nothing, as it would slowly disappear(6-12 months).

If it is visible and recent (lump) I would try to massage ans also have it vibrated in order to disperse it to the point that it is no longer noticeable. If it is old (Granuloma), I would have it injected with  0.4% Kenalog again to the point where it is not noticeable.

Several years ago, Sculptra was being injected in small amounts in the tear trough, under the eyes. A lot of untreatable granulomas developped. Some were excised.. Sculptra is no longer used in that area.

Always make sure that you are being treated by an experienced , Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon.

Eugene Mandrea, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Skin Lump and Sculptra

+1

From your description it appears you have a skin-colored raised area where you had Sculptra injected. 

If you recently had Sculpture injected you can massage the area in the event that it is due to the Sculpture collecting in a localized area. 

If this is very unsightly, you can return to your physician and discuss the option of intralesional steroid to the affected area.

Without any treatment- the skin should return to normal over 1-2 years.

Christina Steil, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Lump after sculptra injection

+1

Hi Daffy.  "Lumps" in the skin after sculptra injections are usually not visible but can be felt just under the surface of the skin.  They are usually 1/16 of an inch in diameter and represent  an aggregation of the sculptra crystals with some collagen. In your case, if the lump is not visible, I would elect to do nothing. They tend to disappear in about a year. Hope this helps.

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon