Cracked Lips and Lumps After Sculptra Lip Injections

I had Sculptra put into my lips 30 months ago. I thought the doctor was putting in a normal lip voluminizer and she told me that the results would last a year. Besides the fact that she put in way too much, I have had chronically cracked lips on the lower right side ever since I had the Sculptra. I also have a lump in my upper lip on the left side. The Sculptra has not been absorbed, and my lips are not back to normal. Is there any hope of this ever going away by itself? Will I have to have the lump surgically removed? Thanks.

Sculptra is a no no in the lips

+3

Maya,

I'm sorry that you have experienced what we now know to be a consequence of Sculptra used in the lips.  It causes bumps when placed there.  See a plastic surgeon.  He/she may be able to make a small incision and extract the material without distorting your lip.  Good luck!

Sculptra in the Lips

+2

Maya,

This is a terribly unfortunate consequence of physicians who are lacking knowledge and experience in injectables. You should have NEVER received Sculptra in the lips, as it is NOT intended for this site. If your'e still experiencing these symptoms, please see another plastic surgeon/dermatologist to see if there is anything they can do for you. Best of luck. 

Sculptra

+2

Sorry that this has happened to you.  Sculptra should not be used in the lip area.  I would encourage you to see a board certified plastic surgeon for an evaluation and to discuss possible treatment. 

Scuptra in the lips

+2

This is an unfortunate complication that can happen when Sculptra is placed in the lips. I have a lot of experience injecting Sculptra and have never placed it in this area specifically because this can happen. What you probably have a granuloma which is an inflammatory reaction to this material. It can also be just the material "lumped" in one spot. Sometimes it can be reduced with a steroid injection, but may need to be excised. A plastic surgeon should be able to remove this without making a visible scar on the outside of your lip.