Sculptra for Loose Neck Skin?

I have jowls and the skin under my neck is very loose. The doctor wants to use Sculptra on me, including lifting the jowls and the loose skin under my neck. He said he is hoping this will work instead of Liposuction under the chin. Will this work?

Sculptra vs. surgery

+1

It is very difficult to make a recommendation without seeing you in person.  However, it sounds like from what you are describing, you may be a better candidate for surgery to address the loose skin under your neck. 

Possible to use Sculptra on cheeks and eye area to lift skin below

+1

Liposuction is useful to reduce fatty deposits. Many surgeons are now using ultrasound or laser with the liposuction to add energy and heat which seems to help tighten the skin and reduce post operative swelling and bruising.

In general, fillers are used to add volume. Sometimes, volume can be added to the cheeks and around the eye to lift the skin below. Often Sculptra or Juvederm Ultra Plus works well for these types of volumizing procedures. You may also consider tightening the skin with a resurfacing laser such as a Sciton or Affirm or similar laser that tightens the skin. Certainly facelifts will help reduce unwanted loose skin as well. Most often a combination of treatments works best.

Charles Perry, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra is a filler, not a lifter

+1

Loose skin of the neck will only respond to a surgical neck lift. If this is what your doctor is recommending, it is on the mark. There is no non-invasive technique that will help a really loose neck with jowls.

If you add Sculptra along the jaw-line, you can get some additional definition of the transition between the neck and face, but it does not help loose skin.

Sculpra is a great filler when you want replacement of fat as in the cheeks.

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Loose neck skin typically requires surgery

+1

It's simply too hard to answer this question without seeing you in person.

In general, very loose skin in the neck and jowls require surgery. Sculptra can be used in those areas to increase volume, but to a limited extent.

Again, it's very difficult to say without seeing you. If you are unsure of the proposed treatment plan then have another discussion with your doctor and/or seek a second opinion.

Good luck!

Dr. Singer

Elan B. Singer, MD