Does Sculptra Help with Rolling Scars?

i have some scars that I believe are rolling scars, they are visible when under shadowing and also appear as lines in my cheek when I smile in any light. I dont know if Sculptra alone will help these scars or if i will have to get them excised? I dont know if it safe to combine the treatments either.

Treatment options for acne scars

+1

As acne scars do not all have the same appearance, it stands to reason that different treatment approaches are used to obtain best results.  Some scars respond best to subcision, some to excision, while others respond best to laser therapy.  Subcision can be performed either superficially or deep, depending on the nature of the scar.  I treat a large number of patients with acne scarring and I do find that there is a role for Sculptra in some of these patients.  I tend to use it as a "finishing' type of agent once maximum improvements have been achieved with other techniques as I find that the increased collagen production leads to improved aesthetic appearance of certain scars.  As has been stated by others, Sculptra must be injected at the correct depth to avoid complications.  Only experienced injectors should attempt to use Sculptra to treat acne scarring.

Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Sculptra can be used for acne scars

+1

I love sculptra for deep dermal defects often left behind after bad acne - and accentuated by chanegs of aging - but for more superficial scars usually a laser such as fraxel works best to stimulate collagen remodeling and smoothing of the skin. A series of treatments is needed for best results.

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist

Best treatments for acne scars

+1

There are many methods of treating acne scars but Sculptra is not among my preferred methods. Because acne scarring occurs in the skin, I believe fillers that are placed in the skin, rather than beneath the skin, are much more effective treatments. Hyaluronic acid gels like Restylane are injected in the skin and are therefore my first choice for treatment of acne scars. Sculptra is injected more deeply, beneath the skin, to generate more volume. I believe that Sculptra will not work nearly as well, will require more treatments, and will be significantly more expensive then Restylane. Many other treatments can be with combined filler injections such as subcision, punch grafting, fractionated lasers, and eMatrix treatments.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne scars

+1

Acne scars are usually treated by a combination of treatments, such as topical creams, subcision, excision, fractional CO2 lasers, and fillers.  Sculptra is a filler that stimulates collagen and is used to improve hollows and wrinkles.  However, when injected superficially, there is a risk of nodule formation.  The best thing to do would be to see a board certified dermatologist to discuss treatment options. 

Donna Bilu Martin, MD
Aventura Dermatologist