Sculptra in Hands

Hi, I am considering in having Sculptra in my hands, due to my veins showing, I have very Very thin skin, and in the summer its worse. I am very concern about this because I am only 29 year old. Should I wait a little longer? Any advise? I been to two doctor and due to my very thin skin they dont want to do it. Help

Sculptra in hands

+1

While perhaps there are no contraindications here, I would be concerned using Sculptra in the hands because of the thinness of the skin in this area.  The HA fillers would be fine, radiesse would work too, but my personal favorite here would be Silikon 1000.

Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Sclerotherapy or Radiesse injections are better than Sculptra for your hands

+1

There are many ways to limit the appearance of veins in the hands. Sclerotherapy will remove or decrease the diameter of hand veins and works very well. Injections of Radiesse or fat into the dorsal hands also works well. I do not recommend using Sculptra on the back of the hands. I have found that Sculptra has a high likelihood of causing hard bumps in the hands do to the constant movement of the tendons that control finger movement.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Prefer radiesse

+1

I have never used sculptra for this but  don't see why not an option. However, Radiesse has been used for a long time and gives much faster results with only one treatment needed so would be more cost and time effective. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Sculptra for Hands at any age

+1

Regardless of your age, if you have thin skin (very little fat) on the back of the hands then fillers are an option.  Sculptra is used for this but results can take quite a long time to notice and many patients don't want to wait.  We use mostly Radiesse in our office for the backs of the hands to disguise the prominent veins and tendons that patients find unsightly.  Radiesse is very satisfying to patients because of the quick results, how even and smooth it looks after treatment and how well it hides the vessels.  The most important thing for a good result is to find someone that has experience doing the hands.

Good luck!

Dr. Grant Stevens       

Grant Stevens, MD

Fillers on back of hands

+1

While there is no filler that is officially FDA-approved for back of the hands, this is a relatively common off-labelled area for experienced aesthetic physician injectors. I personally would not use Sculptra on back of the hands as i believe Radiesse and/or Juvederm Ultra Plus, Perlane offer much quicker gratification with less potential for nodularity given that this is an area ith relatively thin skin.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra Options

+1

Sculptra is a great tool to be used by an experienced physician. Though primarily used in the face, some of the off-label locations it has been used in include the hands.  As the hands age, they lose some of their underlying fat and the veins become more visible. Another much longer lasting alternative is to have your surgeon inject your own fat into this region. The results of this are very rewarding.

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Hand veins and Sculptra

+1

Dear Latin Diva,

Although both are officially "off-label" uses of injectable products, I agree that for the dorsal (backs of) hands, Radiesse is superior to Sculptra. Also, fat taken from another part of your body ("autologous" fat) and injected into the backs of the hands is an excellent option. Each person's case is unique and I recommend that you go for an evaluation with a physician who is familiar with performing both autologous fat transfer procedures as well as the advanced placement of fillers.

Another option would be sclerotherapy (injections directly into the veins with a solution approved specifically for the resolution/treatment of veins). These injections are NOT performed with the same substances as would be used to "re-volumize" the skin in specific areas. Occasionally, certain patients may benefit from a combination of the above-mentioned treatment approaches. Again, I cannot possibly stress the importance of finding a physician who has experience and knowledge in these particular procedures.

Good luck and take care!

Monika Kiripolsky, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse for improving thin skin of hands

+1

Sculptra, although a great volumizer, works best for larger ares of volume loss of the face.  It should not be used in undereye hollows or tear troughs or in lips.

Sculptra can be used on the hands but it's not ideal.  There is a risk of nodule formation with Sculptra.  Most of the time these nodules can be felt but not seen due to the depth at which Sculptra is placed. 

There is no such thickness on hand skin and if nodules do occur, they will be readily visible.

Radiesse is a much better filler for hands.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Fat augmentation or Radiesse for hand augmentation

+1

I prefer to avoid Sculptra on the hands because I think there is a greater tendency, despite how dilute the volume is made, that nodules or bumps can be felt and seen. Fat injections and Radiesse and hyaluronic acids such as Juvederm and Restylane can also form lumps but less so than Sculptra in the hands.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Radiesse or fat are my choice

+1

There seems to be a concensus that among dermal fillers for hand rejuvenation, Radiesse is the most popular. It is more cost effective than Sculptra or any HA filler. Fat would be another option if you have extra fat on your mid section. Buttock fat may be too fibrous.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist