Is There Anything I Can Do To Get Rid of Sculptra Granulomas?

It is almost 3 yrs since I had Sculptra & I am left with very large & noticable hard lumps under my left eye,on my jaw line & numerous others round my mouth. Do these lumps ever go away, or should I consider having surgery to remove them? I have read that they are so difficult to remove that this may not be possible,& will just result in the lumps still being visible & scaring from the attempted extraction, to add to my distress. Is there anything I can do to get rid of these awful ugly things?

Fort Lauderdale Sculptra

+1
The longer after the placement of the product these nodules form, the less likely they are to resolve. Surgical excision would be needed. Given the low incident of such granulomas with the pure, FDA approved devices, I always question the sterility of the molecule. Particularly, are injectors mixing semi-permanent molecules with permanent molecules like silicon or PMMA?

Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Nodules from Sculptra

+1

It is possible to have persistent nodules called granulomas. It is much less common but does occur. Discuss with your physician the various options to treat  and reduce the nodules with injections.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatment for Sculptra granulomas

+1

The onset of nodule formation from the time of injection can vary. Early nodules appear one to three months after treatment and most spontaneously disappear. Later nodules can occur from six months to three years and are larger and more inflamed. They usually appear abruptly and are accompanied by swelling and discoloration. These are often referred to as “granulomas”. They can usually be treated by steroid injections.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon