How Much Sculptra is Too Much for First Visit - Is Better to Spread out over 3-5 Visits?

My facial plastic surgeon has recommended I have 2 vials of Sculptra for face volume loss He would administer in one visit; not over a course of 3-5 visits. I trust him as he only does facial work and he has done my eyes and nose beautifully about 7 years ago. I am worried that 2 vials at one time may be too much? He assures me this is common proctice for him and is fine. Can the experts comment on this approach and if it is OK. I checked Sculptra website- he is listed as trained.

Sculptra

+1

To know how much Sculptra should be used, there are several things to consider including:  age, how much volume loss there is, and what final results are desired.  It is common for 1-2 vials of Sculptra to be used for the first treatment session.  

Sculptra Treatment Amount

+1

Hi zoolou,

Thanks for your question. Generally, one or two vials of Sculptra/SculptraAesthetic is used for the first treatment session. My decision about how many vials to use is based on several factors:

• Your age.
  • The degree of volume loss in your face.
  • Your expectations and desires for the final result.

As with any injectable treatment or surgery procedure, results can vary from person to person. Always discuss with your doctor potential risks as well as expected benefits.

Stephen M. Lazarus, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Amount of Sculptra used depends upon the surface area treated on the face

+1

The amount of Sculptra used depends upon the surface area treated on the face. 2 vials is relatively standard for the initial treatment if you’re treating the whole face and followed up in a months by a second treatment. If you’re treating selected areas of a face, sometimes 1 vial is enough. In severely volume depleted patients, 3 vials are used for a full face treatment. The number of visits depends upon how much correction you need. Sometimes by the third or fourth treatment you can cut down on the number of vials used as not all of the areas of the face will need to be treated.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

How much Sculptra is too much for the first visit?

+1

Each physician may have their own guidelines they follow with Sculptra where they obtain the best results.  In general, Sculptra provides the most benefits when injected over multiple treatments, but it is not out of the ordinary to inject up to 2-4 vials at one time. It really depends on:

1) The areas addressed
2) The amount of volume loss
3) Goals of the patient

Thanks and I hope this helps!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra timing and quantity

+1

Sculptra is best administered over the course of several treatments.  I usually recommend one to two vials for the first treatment, depending on the degree of the patient's facial volume loss.  I then have my patients return four to six weeks later for a second treatment session (again with one to two vials), and then once more for a third treatment session four to six weeks after that. In this way, the results appear gradually and naturally, as the body forms it's own collagen in the treated areas.  Once the treatments are completed, results last up to two years, although many of my patients return for a fourth (booster) treatment after a year.   

Pamela B. Rosen, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra is cumulative.

+1

It would be very rare to use only one vial total of sculptra. It is not rare to start with two vials and reassess 6 or more weeks later, and possibly go with another one or two vials, depending on the response from the first treatment..

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

Two vials is fine for almost all patients

+1

We have used Sculptra since it was first available.

As we have gained confidence in the product we have used more and more at the initial treatments in order to get the result we and the patients wish in a reasonable amount of time.

In very gaunt faces it is not unusual for us to use four vials and in patients with HIV even more.

Even a small female face will start with at least two vials.

It seems your doctor is on the mark.

Dr. Mayl

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra...2 vials per treatment

+1

Yes, depending on the needs of the patient, it is common practice to use two vials of sculptra at the first treatment session.  For example, if your doctor thinks that you need a total of four vials,  you may get two vials at your first treatment, wait four to eight weeks, and then get one vial, wait another four to eight weeks and then get another vial for a total of four vials. Great that you have done your homework and going to a physician who has been trained.

Rebecca L. Euwer MD

Rebecca L. Euwer, MD
Dallas Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra... 2 vials per treatment

+1

It is not out of the ordinary to have 2 vials of Sculptra injected to the face in one treatment. 

Typically you will need anywhere from 2-4 treatments for optimal results.     

Hope this helps.

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD