Why Isn't Sculptra As Effective After Long-term Use?

I have been getting Sculptra injections annually for about 6 years. My latest treatments were more difficult for the doctor because my skin has seemingly become more "dense"; the injection is difficult and the needle clogs a lot. Also, it seems the effect isn't as long lasting.

Annual Sculptra

+2

With each series of Sculptra injections, your body is making more of your own collagen and this forms a resistance to the passage of the needle. It is possible that with the difficulty of the passage of the needle because of this collagen, that less product is delivered with subsequent treatments so there is less volume that builds.

Sculptra and Long-Term use

+1
Sculptra has long-term use.  Clogging of the needle has to do with the product and not its long-term effects.  There is no evidence to support that it is not effective long-term.

Michele S. Green, MD

Sculptra as effective after long-term use

+1

Interesting! I have heard this a few times from patients, colleagues, meetings attendees. I feel you are at an endpoint of its use and may need face surgery. Photos and medical records of amounts injected over 6 years could help.

Best of luck from MIAMI Dr. B

There is no evidence that Sculptra is not effective after long-term use

+1

There is no evidence that Sculptra is not effective after long-term use. For more information on Sculptra, visit my website.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon