How Long Will The Effects Of Sculptra And Collagen Show On My Face?

I understand that sculptra material dissipates after a while but the collagen produced remains. 1. Has anyone measured whether the face actually does go back to where it was before sculptra was injected and how long that takes? 2. Or is the truth that the collagen I grew in response to 8 vials of sculptra - which gave me over-large cheekbones - will permanently affect the shape of my face ? Because I don't see why just that area of collagen would go down. Thank you.

Sculptra longevity

+1
Sculptra works by stimulating collagen in response to the injected particles. Because collagen has an extended half-life, Sculptra can last two years or more.  You gradually break down the collagen that is formed, but at the same time you're breaking down your own natural collagen.   Because the overall breakdown is still pretty slow, Sculptra can have a prolonged effect lasting two years or more.

Sculptra induced collagen synthesis. Longevity of the effects.

+1

L-polylactic acid particles (Sculptra) placed in the human tissue can stimulate neo-collagenosis, similar to a foregn body reaction. This process can take 6 weeks to 6 months. This results in increased density of the collagen fibres and volumsing effect of soft tissues.

Enzymatic activity breaks down Sculptra particles and does so over 2 years. Collagenase acivity induces natural break down of collagen fibres in dermis, this process is ongoing and can be accelarated by smoking, UV damage, dehydration and stress.

It is very difficult to measure exactly collagen content before Sculptra, after the maximum effect taken place and when it is wearing off. Firstly, every patient will have individual responce and secondly there are constant natural changes in skin. However, it has been estimated that total collagen increase seen after 6 months post treatment is reduced by 50% at 12m post treatment.

Facial proportions change with ageing due to fat redistribution and atrophy, collagen brake down and bone resorbtion.  This process will be on going regrdless what ever treatments we do. If the shape of your face has changed due to volume increase around the cheeks- these will be still larger in the relation to the other parts of your face. However, collagen content in your cheeks will be reduced like everywhere else. If you top up Sculptra every 2 years you might keep facial proportions visually the same.

Alexandra Chambers, MD
London Dermatologist

8 Vials of Sculptra is a lot

+1

After Sculptra injections, an increase in volume is correspondingly gradual, starting 3 months after the injection and achieving a maximum at approximately 5 to 6 months post injection. Sculptra is gradually degraded into water and carbon dioxide over approximately 9 to 24 months. Newly formed collagen remains and the cosmetic augmentation has been noted to last up to at least 24 months. By the way, 8 vials of Sculptra does sound a bit excessive to me!

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Duration of Sculptra effect

+1

Sculptra effects will endure over time, with maintenance. The face will continue to age, and the Sculptra effect will slow down the aging process, not stop it. With aging comes volume loss in the facial skeleton and soft tissues, and Sculptra does not halt that process from happening. The best results come with at least 3 treatments to start, which may occur within 6 weeks of each other, and then a treatment about every 2 years. Exact measurements are impossible to apply to all-comers, as the different genetic makeup impacts individual response to the aging process.

Michele A. Shermak, MD

How lopng will the effects of Sculptra and Collagen show on my face

+1

Scluptra is a PolyLactic Acid polymer  that stimulates your Fibrocytes to produce Collagen.

The effects may last one to two years, after which you will more or less gradually revert to  your previous appearance, depending on your age.

There will be no permanent effects from SculptrASlways make sure that you are being reated by an experienced, Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon.

Eugene Mandrea, MD
Chicago Dermatologist