Is it True that Sculptra Causes Natural Formation of Collagen? What if too much was Injected?

If the collagen formed by sculptra is just normal bodily collagen, why would it go down in 2 or 3 years? I had too much sculptra which altered my face shape and I'm worried by doctors on this board saying the sculptra caused my own collagen to form - surely this implies that my face shape will never return to normal as the collagen will go down with the rest of my face - not just where the sculptra was done? Thank you

No collagen with Sculptra

+2

While the manufacturer as well as investigators claim this product produces neocollagenesis or new collagen this is not what is seen under the microscope with Sculptra. On biopsy one sees a severe immune reaction to the product. Sometimes these reactions are uncontrollable and lumps result.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra and collagen formation

+1

Sculptra does create new collagen but the body is in a constant cycle of losing collagen, that is part of the aging process. Collagen is not a static product that lasts forever, whether it is your own or it is created by the injection of Sculptra. I think that in time, the material created by the Sculptra injections should dissolve and you should lose all of the newly created fullness.

Julio Garcia, MD