I had sculptra and now have pea size bumps. Any suggestions?

The doctor injected saline into them 3 days ago. So far still there.

Gently Massage Bumps After Sculptra Treatment

+2

Thanks for your Sculptra question. Generally when we see patients who come to our office after having been treated by another office we first recommend they speak directly with the person who performed the treatment. If that person is unavailable, there should be another medical professional in the office who can assist you. The next step with Sculptra is to follow the 5, 5, 5 rule – generally massage the treated areas for five minutes, five times per day for at least five days in a row. Also we recommend using a facial cream ideal for massaging. Massaging aids in the distribution of Sculptra, and in many cases allows for a smooth and natural look. Should you feel swelling or pain, you may use an ice pack to relieve these temporary symptoms. I’d also suggest verifying with your board-certified Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist any additional suggestions. Many patients enjoy the long-lasting effects of Sculptra, however it does require some patience to see the results. Best of luck to you in your aesthetic journey.

Durham Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra bumps

+2

Often these can be broken up with a needle passed many times through the lump to break it up. I am careful with steroid in these bumps because I fear it may cause atrophy (divot) of normal skin. I have not tried the 5-FU as suggested by another physician but I use this all the time for scars. Sometimes more sculptra is helpful also.

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist

Pea size bumps after Sculptra

+2

Personally, I have never found saline injections to be helpful in treating bumps that develop after Sculptra treatments. They do generally go away over time without treatment. If the bumps are large enough to be injected with a needle, I find that Kenalog does help. There are some doctors who find that 5-FU helps as well. Some bumps are not large enough to be injected however because the medication works best when placed within the bump and not just surrounding it.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of Sculptra nodules

+2

Sculptra nodules can be treated with serial injections of 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) and kenalog. This will expedite their resolution. In the majority of cases they will also resolve on their own, but may take a longer period of time without treatment.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Small Sculptra Bumps

+2

Hi BradyLynn,

The good news is that usually small bumps from Sculptra can be felt but not seen, and that they usually disappear before they can be seen. Should they increase in size to the point of being noticable, and if the saline injections are not effective, then there is a mixture of 5FU, Kenalog, and local anesthesia that works well at dissolving the bumps. I hope that your bumps resolve quickly and completely. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Sculptra Bumps

+1

My suggestion is to follow up with your treating provider to discuss the Sculptra results you describe.

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon