Can I Scratch the Dead Skin on my Nose off I Month After Rhinoplasty

there is what looks like dead skin all over the tip of my nose. how should i scratch or take it all off?

Can I remove dry flaky skin from my nose 1 month after Rhinoplasty?

+2

At 1 month after a Rhinoplasty, the nasal tissues are far from being completely healed and IMHO, you should exercise caution before vigorously moving, pulling or exfoliating the nasal skin.  As always, I suggest you ask your Rhinoplasty surgeon for specific recommendations.

Dead skin on nose

+2

I am assumeing you mean dry flaky skin not actually what a doctor would call necrotic or dead skin.  Sometimes moisturizers will gently allow the flaking to lift off. I would be very gentle and let it come off naturally.

Wash your face gently and it should come off

+1

Be gentle, but yes you can wash your face even with a light exfoliator to help remove some of the flaking skin.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Dry skin after rhinoplasty

+1
It is very common to have some sloughing of the skin post rhinoplasty due to the cast and tape. You can use a gentle exfiloiant to wash the skin or something that has a gentle aha acid in it. If your nose was done with an open approach then use a mild wash with out acid so it will not aggravate the columella incision. Continued flaking for a few weeks post surgery is common. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Dry flakey skin after rhinoplasty

+1

Hello and thank you for the question.

The accumalation of dead skin on the nose following a rhinoplasty is a common finding and generally lasts for several weeks. A month out from your procedure, you should be safe to gently exfoliate the area, taking care not to manipulate the nose too much, as the healing process is still in its early stages.  If you have any concerns, I would suggest calling your surgeon and asking for instructions.

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Dead skin

+1

Exfoliation of skin on the nose is not a proclem. I would use a soft skin care brush or sponge. Be careful and you should be fine

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

+1

There is NO reason why you should not be able to wash your nose or rub it gently a month after surgery. Our skin is constantly exfoliated and replenished and gentle washing and rubbing should not interfere with the operation. To be sure though you should check with your surgeon.

Dr. Peter A Aldea

Removing dead skin on nose after rhinoplasty

+1

After having a cast on your nose for about a week it's quite common for there to be an increased amount of skin sloughing (flaking of dead skin) once the cast is removed. It is usually okay for you to wash your nose and face like normal with a washcloth after surgery but you can certainly check with your surgeon in case there are specific issues in your case that would limit this.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Skin peeling after rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

I would not recommend scratching or putting any type of pressure on your tip at this time. You should ask your surgeon for advice as he is the only one who knows what was done to your nose. You don't want to damage any type of tip reconstruction you may have had. Best wishes, Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon