What is the Optimum Implant Size for Me?

I am 20&I've been researching&longing for a breast augmentation for 8 years. I am 5'6" & slim (34" around my butt, 31" hips, 24" waist&27" rib cage directly below my breasts,measurement of 31"). My main goal is to create an hourglass effect. My butt is quite large for my wirey frame&I would like my breasts to even that out, ideally to add 3-4" to my bust measurement. L base to nipple 2.75 and R base to nipple is 3. Both my breasts have a base of 4&nipple to clavicle is 7, nipple to nipple is 7.5

The Best Or Optimum Breast Implant Size For You

+3

Thank you for your question. Choosing implant size requires the help of your plastic surgeon. The new Mentor Breast Implant Sizing System can be very helpful if you can find a plastic surgeon who uses this method.

The important point you mention is that you want to not only enlarge your breasts but also to improve your shape by widening the chest area to match your hips.

To achieve this you will want to consider a moderate profile plus or low profile breast implant because they are wider than a high profile implants and will produce more fullness on the sides of your breasts.

Although it is wrong to be specific about implant size without an examination there are generalizations I can make about my own practice. In a thin small woman such as yourself a natural non-breast augmented look is typically achieved an implant in the 250 cc range. However with your goal of improving the lateral fullness of your breasts my suspicion is an implant in the 350 cc range at least will be required.

Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and experienced in breast cosmetic surgery.

Trying on implants would be very helpful

+2

Thank you for the question.  There are a handful of methods to arrive at the ideal breast implant size for you including your starting and desired cup size, breast width measurement, and trying on implants.  Ideally, all of these would be used.  Trying on breast implants in a sports bra in your plastic surgeons office will allow you to get an idea of how the implants will balance out your body proportions.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Implants

+1

I would advise you to start with a visit to a board certified plastic surgeon for an evaluation and examination with sizing

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Determining Implant Size

+1

Unfortunately, you have not told us your bra size.  At size 32 or 34 each 100 cc of implant will correspond to 1 cup size change.  At size 36 or 38 each 200 cc of implant will correspond to 1 cup size change.  From this, you can calculate the size you need to achieve your desired goal.  You can try on different size bras to find the size that satisfies your needs and then choose the implant.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

What size implants

+1

The best thing to do for starters is to become educated on how implant sizes work.  Check several web sites and look at before and after photos that tell you the size implants used in those cases. Then go on one or more consults and look at the surgeon's cases.  Find some women similar to you and ask what size implants were used.  This way you will become comfortable choosing the implants that are right for you!  Simple, huh?

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

What is the best size to achieve an hourglass shape

+1

You mention that you are slim and you have a small chest and waist circumference. You mention your rear end size but not your thighs. So, is your body pear shaped?  Do you have long legs or short? Generally, going with a little larger breast size will provide more of an hourglass shape and high profile implants help to achieve this for someone with a narrower breast diameter. The moderate-plus may also work is you have some breast tissue. Measurements help but at the end of the day, it is the whole picture that matters. I have been very happy with the patient feedback our Vectra 3D imaging analysis provides for our patients. Also, look at photos of others who have your body shape, after their augmentation. It is not just the size of implants but the overall look that is important. See an experienced and artistically oriented, board certified plastic surgeon with this system who will spend the time listening to your concerns. 

David R. Stephens, MD

Implant selection

+1

It is critical to be properly evaluated in person to give you a good answer to your question.  Your anatomy and desires will be essential to choose the right implants for you.,

What the heck size implants would be best for me?

+1

Best thing to do is to is to go in for sizing.  Anything else is just a guess, and not likely to get you happy.  Go to a qualified ps.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Optimum Implant Size

+1

A starting cup size and goal cup size would be helpful as well as a measurement of chest wall width.  In general one cup size in a thinner person make take 200 cc.  If you are an A cup now, a 400 cc implant will make you a C.  Once you have an idea of volume goals, the profile of the implant can be decided as well.  The profile of the implant can also change the projection as well.  Find the board certified plastic surgeon with the BEST credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations each year.

Breast Implant Size

+1

The actual size of a breast implant, measured in cc's, is really not very descriptive of what a breast augmentation will look like, or what the cup size will be. It is all relative to the size of the breast and the size of the patient preoperatively. A tall, broad-shouldered patient with small A-cup breasts may require 450cc implants to achieve a C-cup breast volume postoperatively, while a shorter patient with medium B-cup breasts may only need a 250cc implant to achieve a C-cup breast volume.

If a natural appearance is the goal, then the way to get the size right is to 'try out' different implant volumes and profiles in the operating room. Once the implant pockets have been created, sterile sizers can be placed in the implant pockets, and the upper half of the O.R. table raised so that the resulting breast appearance can be assessed with the patient in an upright 'sitting' position (chest fully upright) while under anesthesia. These sizers are available not only for each implant size but also for each implant profile: low, moderate and high (in this practice we use high-profile implants only in rare instances). Inflatable sizers are used for saline implant augmentations, and pre-filled gel sizers are used for gel implant augmentations.

For any patient there is obviously a range of implant volumes that would be considered natural-appearing, and a volume at which the upper pole of the breast begins to look very unnatural. While one patient may seek an augmentation that is 'perfectly natural', another may be interested in a result that is more on 'the full side of natural', and many patients do ask that the largest implant volume be selected that does not produce an unnatural fullness in the upper pole. By using breast implant sizers intra-operatively to determine exactly what breast implant profile and volume produces the best breast appearance in the O.R., patients can be provided with the closest possible approximation of their preoperative goals, and can be assured of a natural-appearing result.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon