I'm 20 yrs old, one child, and 120 lbs. Can I get a tummy tuck? (photo)

I want a full tummy tuck. I'm 20 yrs old, one child, and im 120 lbs. I went to one doctor who said I would be a candidate for TT and another doctor told me I don't need the procedure. I want a full TT because 1. I want a smaller waist that I cannot achieve with exercise alone. 2. My stretch marks make me incredibly self concious. I have tried personal trainers etc but nothing works. It is also CRUCIAL the scar is placed in the pubic region. Looking at my pics, am I a candidate?

Full tummy tuck with low pubic scar probably not possible

+2

Thank you for your question and photographs. You are in excellent shape and do not have a lot of loose skin. That would make a full tummy tuck with a low pubic incision very difficult.

If stretch marks are your main concern you might try 1540 fractional erbium laser treatments which can improve, but not remove stretch marks. Check the link below for more information.

A mini tummy tuck is possible but this will not help your stretch marks. If you want to have a full tummy tuck my guess, from only looking at photographs and not examining, is that your scar would be higher.

Tummy tuck candidate

+1

Very good question. From the photos you have sent it is likely that you have enough skin laxity/excess that you would see a nice improvement with a tummy tuck. However, you would like have a small vertical midline scar in addition to the standard lower horizontal scar. This is due to the likelihood that you do not have quite enough excess skin to remove the 'old' belly button hole.

Steven S. Carp, MD
Akron Plastic Surgeon

Can I get a tummy tuck? (photo)

+1

Thank you for your question and the photos. Without examining you it is not possible to evaluate if you have enough redundancy to allow a full tummy tuck. However, granted you have adequate redundancy, your situation is controversial, some plastic surgeons will not perform a tummy tuck on an abdomen such as yours, because visually it will not make much of a difference. Yes, it will remove most of your stretch marks, but you will have a scar that will be higher than the usual and is unpredictable, meaning that it may be more of a problem aesthetically than your stretch marks. Hope that helps, best of luck.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Full tummy tuck vs mini?

+1

I agree that the only way to maximally remove stretch marks and get best contour is full tummy tuck. However, you would have to accept a small vertical incision above the pubic area because I doubt very much that all of the skin could be excised between your umbilicus and the pubic region. However, a year later, once the skin has loosened a little, an additional small excision performed in the office could get of the vertical scar. I would seek out a surgeon with a lot of experience. Your case is not straightforward. I do not believe a mini abdominoplasty would give you the correction you are looking for.

Thomas A. Mustoe, MD, FACS

Can I get a tummy tuck?

+1

If you want as much skin removed as possible and the lowest scar possible, you may need a small vertical incision with the tummy tuck. A physical exam will allow for a better determination to be made about the appropriateness of that intervention.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Can I get a tummy tuck?

+1

You probably are a candidate for a full TT, but it isn;t possible to be sure without an exam. It is very important to keep the scar low and you may not have enough skin laxity. Getting the scar low is aided a great deal by progressive advancemant sutures, so make sure your surgeon uses that technique. I personally am no fan of "W" shaped incisions and have seen many patients who were displeased by such an irregular scar. If it just isn't possible to get the old bellybutton hole out and keep the scar low, it is still better to use a low curved scar and close the belly button hole in a small up and down scar in the lower midline. But I almost never find that necessary is the surgical dissection of the skin goes up across the ribs and the progressive advancement sutures are placed.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Can you get a tummy tuck

+1

The truth is you can get a tummy tuck and very many surgeons would be happy to oblige. My feeling is that the scar will be a poor tradeoff for the amount of correction you will get. Make sure you understand the procedure before you jump in.

What Should I Do?

+1

Dear miladoll, From your photographs alone I would recommend a mini abdominoplasty with a low incision, rectus plication and umbilical transposition. This will certainly make your skin and abdominal wall flatter and smoother. Moving your umbilicus down an inch will also allow some tightening of the skin above your umbilicus and avoid a scar around your umbilicus. However, you will still have some of the stretch marks that you dislike. Do not worry about moving your belly button, position varies amongst patients and it will not look abnormal. You may be a candidate for a full abdominoplasty but a full exam will be needed to determine how loose your skin really is. I wish you well. Dr. G.

#Minneapolis Plastic Surgery

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck?

+1

Yes, you are a candidate for a tummy tuck however I suspect that you would be a better candidate for a mini tummy tuck. That being said, if on physical exam your skin was looser than it appears in your photos, one might argue towards a full tummy tuck.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Can I get a tummy tuck? (photo)

+1

Based on your pictures, a tummy tuck is an option to remove loose skin and some stretch marks. However, you seem to have a high belly button which suggests you may have a short vertical scar in addition to the lower scar.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon