EKG Test Pre-op?

Dr.salama's staff sent me an email requesting a bunch of blood tests and and EKG (which i find strange since im a 19 yr old non smoker). Anyways, i have no insurance and spent 250 on the blood tests but they dont do EGKs. Next care urgent care doesn't either and ill be out of state from now until my surgery. Where can i get this done. Its become such a hassle and my surgery is on the 19th. Help! (Ps i will be in Chicago up until my surgery in FL)

Testing before surgery

+1

When you are 19 and healthy without any serious medical conditions, typically a blood count and pregnancy test would be sufficient testing. An EKG is not necessary in a young patient with no history of heart trouble. Perhaps you can call to discuss the need with your surgeon.

EKG test Pre-Op? #breastimplants

+1

It is not normal for a healthy young patient like yourself to have an EKG prior to having surgery. You would have to have a history of some type of cardiac problem. I would call and make sure that your doctor is actually asking for this test or if this was a mix up.

Richard J. Brown, MD

EKG Test Pre-op?

+1

EKG's are not typical for young healthy patients that do not have any history of cardiac disease...check with the Dr's office to be sure that this particular test does not apply to you.

Kenneth A. Marshall, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

EKG not a Normal Pre-Op Requirement for Young Healthy Patients

+1

EKG exams are generally required for surgery patients over the age of 50 or have pre-existing heart conditions, high blood pressure, or is a heavy smoker.  I recommend contacting your doctor's office for clarification.

Usha Rajagopal, MD

EKG Prior To Surgery

+1

Dear Miladoll,

While every surgeon has their own unique pre-operative requirements, it is very unusual for a healthy patient of your age to need the pre-op testing you discussed.  Current accepted anesthesia protocols also do not require these tests for healthy patients.  I recommend you contact your plastic surgeon's offices and discuss your concerns before proceeding.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

EKG and Blood work prior to Breast Augmentation

+1

I would concur with previous opinions. There is no need for and EKG or labwork in someone your age group unless you are on medications or have a strong history of heart problems in your family.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

EKG is not common test for young healthy patient

+1

There are state and national recommendations for preoperative testing for patients undergoing general anesthesia.  It is not a standard recommendation for an EKG to be performed on young healthy patients.  I would check with your PS again to confirm that this is requested and ask them what is the reason for the test.  Reasons for young patients to obtain an EKG include shortness of breath, mitral valve prolapse, irregular heart beat, etc. This can save you time and money!

Tripti Burt, MD

EKG Test Pre-op?

+1

Every surgeon will have different policies. In our office for the past 30 years with all major procedures done under a general anesthesia with board certified anesthesiologist we do not get blood tests or EKGs on healthy patients under age 60.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Pre-op tests--screening for health concerns or generating income for test-giver?

+1

Unless your surgery is scheduled at the doctor's own office facility (and even if it is, if the "requirements" for pre-op screening tests such as an EKG are set by the anesthesia provider, not your surgeon), the hospital or surgical center (actually the anesthesia providers who work at these facilities) decide what tests are "required" before surgery. Each facility may have certain differences, but the goals are ostensibly the same: the idea is that you want a healthy patient with "no surprises" when s/he is anesthetized, and that a pre-operative screening, history, physical examination, and tests as necessary all help to ensure the highest likelihood of having a safe anesthetic experience, and a patient that "wakes up" at the end of the surgery! Especially for ELECTIVE surgery.

You are young and (probably) quite healthy, so unless there is something in your medical history to suggest a need for additional tests, all we would require is a Hemoglobin (and we can do that at our surgical facility). No EKG is required until age 50 or with a history of heart disease.

Ask your surgeon what gives? This is really (probably) unnecessary and foolish! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

EKG at a young age for surgery

+1

Thank you for your question. In our office, we require an EKG for any patient over the age of 50 going through a procedure with general anesthesia AND/OR any patient that has a medical condition or history that would warrant additional testing. We do however, require blood testing before any procedure requiring a general anesthesia. I would check back with your surgeons office to confirm that they are requesting an EKG for your case. If they confirm that an EKG is required, you should look at a cardiologists office (which you can google for the area that you will be in). Check around as pricing varies, however, the cardiologists office that we use charges a cash based price of $55 for our patients. I hope this helps.

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon