Is Sharp Pain and Skin with Odd Texture 4 Weeks After Hip, Thigh and Knee Lipo Normal?

I am 4 weeks post op and still have a great deal of pain and swelling. Sometimes the pain is sharp and stabbing. I describe it like a rocephin shot. The back of my thighs where there seems to still be swelling, has skin with an odd texture to it. To be honest I look worse than before I had the lipo and I cannot even get into the pants I wore before the surgery. So discouraging!

+1

It is probably too early to tell.  Swelling and healing as well as scar maturation can persist for 6 months and sometimes up to 1 year following liposuction.  An exam would be necessary to make any judgments at this early date.

Kenneth Hughes, MD                                                                                                           Los Angeles, CA

Pain and swelling after liposuction

+1

Without an exam it is difficult to say. Swelling is normal after liposuction and this will last for months. Best to be seen in person by your surgeon.

Significant pain for weeks after liposuction is very unusual.

+1

Your complaints should be addressed to your own plastic surgeon. By four weeks most patients after liposuction have little if any discomfort.