Will BR Help my Chronic Back Pain?

I am 33 5ft 1' 10 stone 4 & have 36 F breasts I'm booked to have my BR on the 15th Dec, which will be in Bangkok as my Dad lives there. 6 years ago i was in a fire, multiple injuries.tthe one that bothers me to this day, is the damage done to my Thorasic spine area. I can't wear a proper bra since the accident, it has controlled my life. I have lost 2 stone & go to the gym regularly. Please advise on what i can do pre op to minimise scarring. Thanks

Breast reduction often improves upper back and shoulder pain.

+2

Large breasts can put a lot of stress on the skeleton that supports them.  The upper back, neck, and shoulder are commonly afflicted and benefit from breast reduction.

Breast Reduction and Chronic Back Pain?

+2

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. Hopefully, you have done your due diligence and selected your plastic surgeon carefully. 

Based on your history of trauma, it is probable that breast reduction surgery will not necessarily improve symptoms you related to the thoracic spine area. It is possible however that your symptoms may be improved to some degree, depending on the severity of the breast hypertrophy present. Unfortunately, without direct examination I cannot provide you with more specific advice.

Like other respondents, I think the use of silicone gel products or the use of pressure applying tape may be helpful  in improving the appearance of scars after breast reduction surgery.Of course, your plastic surgeon will have his/her own “protocol”.

Best wishes with your upcoming procedure; hopefully you will be pleased from the symptom relief and aesthetic standpoints.

Breast reduction and back pain.

+2

BR will likely decrease the stress on your back as the extra weight being held by your bra and transmitted to the neck and shoulder area causes undue stress on the thoracic area. I think you will be very pleased by the reduction in the symptoms.

Eating a well-balanced diet of fruits and vegetables and healthy proteins will help your healing. I have found that SkinMedica's Scar Recovery Gel used one week after surgery until the scar is white and mature (usually 6 months) makes a significant difference on the outcome of the scar. Obviously, surgical technique plays the largest role and I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon. Good luck.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction and Back Pain

+2

While breast reduction does not cure chronic back problems, it can make back pain much better, if the pain is due to the weight of large breasts. Ask your surgeon about scar treatments but silicone gel sheets work well and are easy to use.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS