Scoop Method of Removal? (photo)

I saw a dermatologist today and I have 3 moles on my face I want removing. He told me he will 'scoop' them out and a scab will form and this will heal and the scab will eventually fall off. Is this the best method? Will it leave a horrible scar?

Scooped out moles will leave a scar the size of the tissue excised

+1

It is a good method for certain moles.  it depends on where the mole is and how big an area of tissue is removed.  It is very subjective as to which moles are best removed with a scoop excision, shave excision or complete excision and closure.  A plastic surgeon should be able to advise you as to which method is best for your situation.  I perform all types of mole excision and believe that complete excision and closure it frequently the best option. 

Claremont Plastic Surgeon

Mole removal

+1

Your physician may be referring to a shave excision or shave biopsy.  Depending on the location of the moles, either a shave excision or a complete surgical excision may be done.  

Sam Naficy, MD

Types of mole removal techniques including scoop / shave biopsy

+1

Both the scoop / shave method and the surgical excision method are conventional methods of obtaining a biopsy during mole removal.  They are both acceptable treatments. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Options for removal of facial moles

+1

Your doctor is most likely referring to a "shave excision" where the mole is actually "shaved off" at a level just below the surface of the skin. Depending on their size and location, facial moles can be easily removed by either a shave excision or a full thickness excision with suture closure. Either method, done properly, should result in a minimal scar. If for any reason a shave excision does not heal as well as expected, it can always be excised and sutured at that time, but in my experience this almost never happens.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

How to Remove Moles on the Face

+1

I believe he would be referring to tangential excision or shave removal of the moles. I would rather not refer to the method as a "scoop" method as this would suggest that there will be a depressed scar or divot afterwards. Tangential excision is frequently a very good technique for removal of moles on the face, especially if they're skin colored. Of course, the resultant scar afterwards has to do with many factors, including location,complications, and who is performing the procedure. It's not a bad idea to remove one first and evaluate how well things heal up and whether you're satisfied with the results. And if you have any doubts, there's no downside to seeking a second opinion and having another doctor evaluate the moles and tell you what they think will be the best option. Good luck.

Andrew Kaufman, MD