I've Had Sclerotherapy Done Yesterday Can I Take my Stockings off to Have a Shower then Put Back On?

Can I remove my stockings to have a shower and then put them back on straight away? I had sclerotherapy yesterday 29/4/13

Showering After Sclerotherapy

+2

It’s important that you continue to wear your compression stockings around the clock, especially if you only had your treatment one day ago. If you remove the stocking during the shower, the treated veins will enlarge with the pressure of standing and the heat of the shower and fill back with blood preventing them from dissolving. As a board certified dermatologist and cosmetic surgeon specializing in sclerotherapy, I always recommend that my patients wear these garments non-stop for the first week. After one week, you may remove them during the day and only wear them during the night.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Shwering after sclerotherapy

+1
It is fine to take a shower the day after. There are some doctors that tell their patients to shower with the stockings and NOT to remove them for 1 week. I think that is an impractical post procedure care as most people will not do that. 

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Showering after Sclerotherapy

+1

Thank you for your question. This should not be a big issue provided you replace them when you are out of the shower, and keep the temperature as cool as is comfortable. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Sclerotherapy and showering

+1

You can take your stockings off to shower are sclerotherapy. I recommend my patients to wear them for 2 weeks during the day and night after treatment. 

Sclerotherapy

+1

Yes you can.  The amount of time to wear compression stockings varies with the treating physician.  I usually recommend compression for 48 hours post sclerotherapy.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Sclerotherapy

+1

Yes, you can take your compression stockings off to take a shower and then put them back on afterwards.  It is not necessary to wear the stockings while you are sleeping.  

Sam Naficy, MD

Procedure After Sclerotherapy

+1

After you have sclerotherapy it is advisable to wear compression hose for approximately one week.  By no means does this mean that you have to wear them while you sleep.  You can certainly take them off and shower as usual.  Please be sure to have a board certified dermatologist treat you for your leg veins and follow-up with her one month after treatment.

Michele S. Green, MD

Sclerotherapy and compression hose

+1

Yes, absolutely remove them to shower or bathe and then put them back on. Don't scrub your legs harshly or exfoliate though.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD