Lump 3 Years After Sclerotherapy Treatment

I had sclerotherapy 3 years ago, I still have a lump in the spot where it was performed. I feel that the lump is getting bigger, should I be concerned?

Lump 3 years after sclerotherapy

+1
3 years after sclerotherapy and a new lump necessitates an examination and ultrasound Doppler scan. 

Buffalo General Surgeon

Lump after sclero

+1

it depends alot on what was injected. if something unusual was injected it could be some sort of foreign body reaction. more than likely its just a dermatofibroma or it could be unrelated and warrant a biopsy. an ultrasound might be beneficial in workup.

Timothy Mountcastle, MD
Ashburn General Surgeon

Check It Out

+1

If this were a clot, your lesion  would be getting  smaller, not larger. There is a remote possibility that the trauma from a needle stick could have triggered a benign lesion called a dermatofibroma, which is really nothing more than a glorified scar. However, I have never seen this happen and it is not mentioned as a side effect of sclerotherapy in the textbooks.

Thus it is very likely that the lump coincidentally formed in an area you had sclerotherapy. While most such masses are totally benign entities such as the aforementioned dermatofibroma or the common lipoma, this should definitely be checked out by a dermatologist to ensure that it is nothing more serious.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Enlarging lump after sclerotherapy

+1

It is highly unusual for a lummp created after sclerotherapy to enlarge over time. Maybe there is a coincidence and the lump has nothing to do with the sclerotherapy.  You definitely should see a dermatologist and ask for evaluation and a possible biopsy of the enlarging growth.

Ronald Shelton, MD