Would Sclerotherapy Work to Get Rid of These Veins on my Feet or is It Only for Legs?

I'm wondering if sclerotherapy or another procedure would be able to get rid of these veins, as they look really ugly.

Sclerotherapy

+3

For the veins on your feet, I would recommend that you see a vascular surgeon for your concerns.  There may be other options for you other than sclerotherapy.

Sclerotherapy to Veins...

+3

I like to recommend holding off on treating these types of veins. You really need the blood supply to your extremities. 

My professional opinion, No sclerotherapy or laser vein removal. 

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Laser treatments or phlebectomy are options for foot veins

+3

Veins on the feet are VERY different from veins on other body areas including the legs. While sclerotherapy can be effective for foot veins less than 1mm in diameter, treating larger veins with sclerotherapy will cause the foot to swell for weeks after treatment. Another possible treatment for larger veins on the feet is ambulatory phlebectomy. This procedure, performed under local anesthesia removes the veins permanently through tiny incisions that leave little if any scars. Finally a variety of long-pulsed 1064 nm Nd:YAG lasers are very effective for smaller veins on the feet. Since there are a variety of methods which may be appropriate for veins on the feet, it is best to go to a physician who is experienced using all of these techniques so that he/she can choose the best procedure for your specific problem.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Sclerotherapy

+3

I would recommend going to a vascular surgeon for these issues with your feet. It is an area where many physicians are not are not as comfortable treating.

Jeffrey Adelglass, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sclerotherapy to the feet and ankles

+3

Sclerotherapy can be effective for veins on various body parts - legs, arms, hands, feet, and face. The solution ratio your physician uses may change a bit (a little less potent) on the ankles and feet because the skin is just thinner there. Additionally, it might hurt a bit more on the ankles and feet than your legs, because there's just not that much fat there so it can be a bit tender. It shouldn't be terrible. I apply a numbing agent before injections as well as use a cold air chiller for extra pain management, but just expect it to hurt a bit more than on the legs. Ask your injector how she or he pre-treats the area because it will make your treatment much more comfortable this way. It's absolutely effective though.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Sclerotherapy on Feet

+3

Sclerotherapy is very effective for the removal of veins on the foot/ankle area. However, there are some veins of the foot that are neccesary and are part of a person's regular anatomy that should not have sclerotherapy performed on them. It is also important to check for deeper vein reflux or incompetence that can cause these veins to re-occur or get worse after sclerotherapy. Make sure your Vein Center/Doctor has a comprehensive program and evaluates your deeper/larger veins.

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Sclerotherapy or microphlebectomy.

+2

There are 2 options for these foot veins-sclerotherapy which  is the injection of a solution into the vein to dissolve it or microphlebectomy which consists of timy 2mm incisions to remove the veins.  Sclerotherapy usually requires several treatments.  Microphlebectomies is a one time treatment and would be what I would recommend.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Treatment of foot veins and corona phlebectatica

+2

Corona phlebectatica refer to veins on the feet. I would recommend sclerotherapy and an assesment of vein function to see whether you have any venous reflux or insufficiency. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Sclerotherapy for feet

+2

You most certainly can use sclerotherapy for the veins on the ankles and feet, however, caution must be taken due to thin skin in that area and higher risk for skin discoloration and scaring.

Victoria Karlinsky, MD
Manhattan General Surgeon

Sclerotherapy Works Well On Feet and Ankles

+2

Sclerotherapy works very nicely on the ankles and feet.  However, as the skin is thin and in some areas you are directly over bone, the injector needs to be more conservative with the treatments.  With a first-time sclerotherapy patient, I typically start on the thighs or calves with a test treatment to see how they do and if they are pleased. If those treatments are going well, I will move to the ankles and feet as well.  I recommend you consult with a board-certified dermatologist or vascular surgeon experienced in treating leg veins.  Click on the link below to watch a demonstration of sclerotherapy for the treatment of leg veins. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD